• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spoke to Vets about Microchipping buns ....

Bitzy

Mama Doe
....... and they said it probably wasn't worth doing as most vets/RSPCA/Rescue places wouldn't think to check for one!?!?!

And also that the needle is so big she would think they'd need a GA for it!?!

Has anyone else heard this? I was quite keen on having them chipped in case they ever went missing (I'd like to think I did everything I could to optimise my chances of them being returned) but if they have to endure a GA, I'm not so sure!!

I thought they chipped birds!?! Surely if they can chip something that small without a GA, they could chip a bun??

Jo x

Thats odd. Both mine are chipped, yes its quite a big needle - but Pip didnt seem to flinch....Rusty was an RSPCA bun so came with a chip already!

I did think a negative thought :roll: our local fox population are always lurking so sadly in the instance any of mine got out & went missing, I very much doubt that they would be lucky enough to find their way to a lovely person who could check them for chips....But its still nice to know they have them just in case!

Oh they also said they'd never been asked to chip a rabbit before ... so maybe its just a case of lack of experience them assuming they'd need a GA!?! :?

i have no idea, but maybe it is lack of experience if they say they've never done it before - maybe check for another place that may?

Check your local RSPCA, the ones around me do bunny chipping (as well as scanning all strays that come in) and may be more experienced with it than your vet :wave:

Check your local RSPCA, the ones around me do bunny chipping (as well as scanning all strays that come in) and may be more experienced with it than your vet :wave:

Brilliant!!

Just spoke to them and they do it £15 each and have been at it for years ........ also, they're only 5 mins away from us!!

Thanks very much, I wouldn't have thought of ringing them!!

Jo x

I'm glad someone asked this... i asked the vet nurse where i take my bun and she said that its possible it could be done but it probably wasn't worth it, she's never booked one in. So, if the RSPCA can do it, i will arrange to get hers done

The RSPCA did Cloud for me too. The needle is massive but Cloud didn't seem bothered. It didn't even bleed. :wave:

I've had three buns chipped whilst they were being neutered and two chipped whilst they were concious. I don't think it's a big issue, yes it will cause them a little bit of pain, but it will go away quickly.

And although the rescues in your area may not check for chips routinely, if your rabbit went missing you could always phone them up and ask them to check any rabbits they get in. I think most would do so if you gave them a general description!

I'm really keen on having them chipped but may wait until the beginning of next year .... what with their vaccs then their neuters and their bonding coming up by which time it will be nearly time for their next lot of vaccs, I feel like I've put them through enough for the time being! They're only 5½ months old bless em!

But definitely something I'll be keen to do next year!

Jo x

Both mine are chipped and it was as quick as a vaccination, actually had them done on the same visit. A GA is not necessary at all, it just stings a bit more than a usual vacc due to the needle size but both mine barely flinched, and no more than normal.

Our vets do them all the time. Plus, I know some of the vets in my area DO scan stray buns as my vet's own bunnies escaped from his garden and he got a call at work from another vet to say they had his bunnies!

I'm really keen on having them chipped but may wait until the beginning of next year .... what with their vaccs then their neuters and their bonding coming up by which time it will be nearly time for their next lot of vaccs, I feel like I've put them through enough for the time being! They're only 5½ months old bless em!

But definitely something I'll be keen to do next year!

Jo x

Get them chipped whilst they are being neutered and it will be completely pain free for them. They won't even notice that way.

I personally won't get my bun's chipped, because I don't believe RSPCA round here would bother checking. They were called out to my pony once, and despite there being a sign on her fence saying she's microchipped, they didn't bother to scan her to get my details and left a note to contact them. What was the point in getting her chipped!!

Hmmm thats an interesting one.

Both my RSPCA buns came microchipped however none of my others are. I have wondered about getting them done but as you say I dont know how often vets etc would think to check buns for a chip.

It can be done though so if you want it doing I would insist. It might be worth asking if your local RSPCA do it as it might be cheaper than the vets and of course you would be helping them out too

My vet suggested I get both of mine done and I'm glad I did - as others had said the needle is pretty big, but it bothered me alot more than either of them! In fact, I nearly passed out, but they carried on quite happily.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I'm a bit surprised that they would suggest a GA was needed...

I know what you mean about putting them through a lot in a short space of time, George had his first ever myxi and his chip all in one go, at 8 weeks old, but they are troopers and seem to cope just fine :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :wave:

Back