• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runs on concrete

weedug

Mama Doe
I have 2 runs just now that are fixed with concrete bases. I have 2 buns with sore legs so need something a bit softer and wondered what other used?

I'm using blankets/vetbed just now. Was thinking of putting down some rolls of grass but thought that they would just end up stinking.

I sometimes put down carpet tiles. Or what about the sample squares of carpet you can purchase from most carpet places for about 50p

Yes I'd try carpet too. You could buy a roll end and keep cutting a piece off when it needs replacing.

If they aren't chewers rubber matting like that for kids or stables is good and easy to clean too.

Somewhere I have seen grass seed that can grow on concrete, only problem is I can't remember where.:oops: I *think* it was in one of those catalogue leaflets you get in magazines (it would have been a TV guide for me) you know the ones they sell all those gizmos you think are amazing but never actually use :D
Probably based in Harrington Dock, Liverpool

I have my hutch on the patio at present and pulled up the slabs and put grass that I pulled up from around the garden and just pushed it in the soil where the run is. Cookie Loves it!

Don't think carpet would be soft enough, although I will see if the shop has any soft carpet squares to try out.

The matting sounds ideal, but they would eat it :roll:

One bun has arthritis and the other has one dislocated knee, and the other knee can dislocate easily itself hence the softness. Having said that, he doesn't like anything too soft :roll:

Somewhere I have seen grass seed that can grow on concrete, only problem is I can't remember where.:oops: I *think* it was in one of those catalogue leaflets you get in magazines (it would have been a TV guide for me) you know the ones they sell all those gizmos you think are amazing but never actually use :D
Probably based in Harrington Dock, Liverpool

I have my hutch on the patio at present and pulled up the slabs and put grass that I pulled up from around the garden and just pushed it in the soil where the run is. Cookie Loves it!

What a good idea!

I usually buy rolls of turf from B&Q but am assuming that I'll not be able to get any over winter.

Thought if I put rolls down just now they would end up totally disgusting by the end of the year and don't have the space to store extra rolls.

Bo suffers with sore feet, i managed to get some of the foam kids play mats and covered half the run with some, i also give him and Tiffany time in the run on the grass. Inside there hutch they have a foam mat, covered in soft material, then a duvet cover.

I found carpet was a big no go..

The problem with carpet is that it will get damp and mouldy, and can cause sork hocks as it wears away the guard hairs.

I put down a good thick layer of hay in the bottom of Oscars run as he has poor gait and needs his feet protected.
They tend to use it as a litter tray, but I just change it every other day.

Back