• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit babies

My rabbit has had babies. They are about 4 days - week old.
Litter of 7.
over the last 2 days 2 have died.
does any one know of a reason why.

They are outside in the hutch is it better if i bring them inside.
if so how are you supposed to handle them because i have read you cant handle them yet.

be grateful of any advive .
Thanx :D x

I'd leave the hutch where it is, moving it could stress Mummy bun out.

Have you removed the dead kits from the nest? If you haven't, they really need to be removed because they'll make the other babies cold and will also attract flies and other nasties. Have the dead babies been injured in any way at all?

To handle the babies, you should rub some of the dirty bedding from the hutch on your hands so you don't leave odd smells on the babies and also only handle them when Mum is out of the nest area and not really paying attention. Can you look to see if their bellies are round? If they're being fed, they should have little podgy tummies.

Also you need to make sure Mum bunny has access all the time to good quality hay and water and you should be feeding her more of her usual food than usual to help her produce enough milk.

I'm afriad my advice is pretty basic as I've never had baby rabbits but hopefully someone will offer some more advice soon.

Sounds as though Mum isn't feeding them

How old is Mum ?

Have you looked at the kits to check that their bellies are rounded and that their skin isn't very wrinkled (both of which would indicate that the Doe isnt feeding them)

Is the Buck still in with them ?

thanks for the advice

the mum is about a year old

no the buck is not in with them .

and no i haven't checked them yet because i was told not to touch them i will check soon .

thanks again for the advice .

does this mean i need to separate the babies from the doe ? x

Back