• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zoidberg getting neutered today...

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
I'm pretty worried about him tbh.

I hope he's okay!

is there anything I need to look out for after? will he be ok outside tonight in his hutch or would he be better off indoors?

Males tend to recover very quickly from neutering, it's quite a small straightforward operation.

Rabbits cannot control their temperature too well after a general anaesthetic and, as it's quite cool at night now, I would keep him in overnight tonight.

Try to keep him quiet and in a confined area for the first 24 hours and check that he hasn't messed with his wound at regular intervals. Also, give him hay in a rack not on the floor as it may become stuck to his wound.

Good luck!

Thanks, how long is it before he'll be back to his normal self roughly?

I'll move his hutch indoors for tonight, as otherwise all we have is a little carry case which isn't really fair on him.

For bedding should I just use newspaper then as currently he has hay as his bedding?

Thanks again.

Thanks, how long is it before he'll be back to his normal self roughly?

I'll move his hutch indoors for tonight, as otherwise all we have is a little carry case which isn't really fair on him.

For bedding should I just use newspaper then as currently he has hay as his bedding?

Thanks again.

Towels or puppy pads would be a good option for the first night or 2 as newspaper could get damp and stick to his wounds.

With males, it only usually takes around 24 hours for them to be back to normal. Having said that, when Louie was neutered I set up a puppy pen nursing area for him, puppy pads on the floor, hay in a rack, a snugglesafe in case he was cold. He is never normally confined and, within a few minutes, he had trashed the pen area and was trying to lift it with his teeth :shock:

I gave up and just let him freerange as normal and he was fine!

Towels or puppy pads would be a good option for the first night or 2 as newspaper could get damp and stick to his wounds.

With males, it only usually takes around 24 hours for them to be back to normal. Having said that, when Louie was neutered I set up a puppy pen nursing area for him, puppy pads on the floor, hay in a rack, a snugglesafe in case he was cold. He is never normally confined and, within a few minutes, he had trashed the pen area and was trying to lift it with his teeth :shock:

I gave up and just let him freerange as normal and he was fine!

That's good then, i've got my brother bringing his dog cage round which he kept his puppy in for him tonight, will see how he goes mind.

i'm pretty nervous as much about the after care as the operation itself, hope he doesn't bite at his stitches or anything.

I'll use a towel then for him in the cage, will he need a box to sleep in away so he can get away from everything in a hiding place?

That's good then, i've got my brother bringing his dog cage round which he kept his puppy in for him tonight, will see how he goes mind.

i'm pretty nervous as much about the after care as the operation itself, hope he doesn't bite at his stitches or anything.

I'll use a towel then for him in the cage, will he need a box to sleep in away so he can get away from everything in a hiding place?

I would just put a sheet over the cage so he feels secure, anything else in the cage he may jump on and pull his wound.

Hopefully, he will have internal stiches so nothing for him to chew at. Louie cleaned his wound very vigorously for the first few hours so I kept checking that he hadn't disturbed the wound, but he was fine.

Awww I'm sure he will be fine :D

What time have you got to take him to the vets?

My wife has taken him this morning.

Even worse that I didn't get to take him i think! I'm relying on her to give me information.

She's picking him up after she finishes work as well, it's going to be a long day for him :(

My little doe is going for her spay today, too!
*lily*'s advice is spot on for post-op recovery for a buck! Quite accurate for a doe as well, except that the lady's need more time to recuperate. :'(

Zoidberg has come out of surgery and is fine, a bit dopey apparently, but the surgery was a success :D:D

Hope the others were okay :p

Zoidberg has come out of surgery and is fine, a bit dopey apparently, but the surgery was a success :D:D

Hope the others were okay :p

Yay, excellent news :)

They are almost always dopey from a GA, soon come around to their naughty bouncey selves :)

vets just rang me and hypo is back to his normal hypo self :roll::lol: she said shes never seen such an energetic bun after surgery.:lol:going fetch him now cnat wait have him home

well zoidberg is home and being kept indoors for the next few nights in a puppy cage.

He's not himself, but hopefully that won't last for long, he's just very quiet at the minute, will let him out in the living room tonight and will see how he is then.

He's eating and everything which is good to see :D

I'm sure you will see him pickup a lot as the day progresses.

Glad he is doing well xxx

Back