• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding suddenly gone wrong

sazv

New Kit
I wonder if any of you can give me some advice:

I currently have a non-neutered male bunny and a neutered female sharing a hutch and large run. They were bonded about a month or so ago.

They have been getting on fine so far, however the last day or so they have suddenly started chasing each other pretty much constantly. The female has also started suddenly attacking my male bunny, i.e. running up to him and biting him, without being provoked. - It seems to scare the living daylights out of him

What confuses me is that they were cuddled up to each other quite happily a couple of days ago??? - I got the female out of rescue a month ago and had the male for about 2 years... As much as I love both of them to bits, I'm scared that I have to let go of one of them, since I neither have the facilities nor the space to get them into separate accommodation.

Any ideas on how to tackle this or what I should do, i.e. should I separate them would be really appreciated

:wave: Is there a medical reason why the male is not neutered? If not, I would get the male neutered ASAP - he is more than likely pestering her (because he is an entire male with hormones and sexual urges that she no longer has now she is spayed) so she may well have just got fed up with that and decided to fight back because she's annoyed. There is a really high risk that he will end up with injuries to his bits as sometimes they get over excited and jump on the other bun's head instead of bum, and she will more than likely bite his bits if he does that. I think the solution to your problem lies in neutering the male :)

As Santa says I woudl definately get him neutered ASAP before any really nasty injuries occur and the bond break down beyond the stage of being able to rebond them.

Agree with the above.

He will be bothering her and she won't be liking it. He needs to be neutered and then reintroduced.

If you want to keep both, you really need to neuter him. It cost £38 for ours to be done. He could be done now as he is old enough -a couple of weeks separated to recover, then rebond them. There is a slight risk with any animal operation, but they sound like they have been a lovely pair and could be again once he is done.

Tintin, where did you get your male done? Just had mine done and it was over £60!!!! Thought that was the norm. £38 is very cheap!!

The cost of neutering seems to have no sense to it at all, I rang round before I got mine done, I pay £38.50 for a spay and £32 for a castration but the quotes I got were as high at £90 :shock:

Thing is,one place may be cheaper but do they offer the same service?

For example, my old vets cost about £35 for a neuter. But follow ups had to be paid for so in the end it cost about £55. My new vets charge about £55 for a neuter. But follow ups are included, as many as is needed, plus they do a pre-op check with you there when you take them in.

Had ours done at a local vet, in Sale, Cheshire. The follow-up check-up was free, but was done by the nurse not a vet. A speying would have been £45. I am always suprised at the variation in prices mentioned on here.

Back