• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen and Page rabbit food

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Is it any good? I have been told by the lady I got Chester from that excel I normally feed my buns isn't very good for them. I always fed Barney (french lop) on excel but seeing Chester he is massive(not fat) and fed on Allen and Page.Just wondered what everyone else thought:wave:

its great for huge golden poos :D:D but i find alvins fur goes quite dull so i still give a small measure (5ml) of wagg :D

All 5 of my bunnies are on it and they all have lovely round golden poops, even Starbuck's are nice and big now (they have been small and shrivelly in the past). It also helps keep his weight stable.

I would love mine to eat it as it's so much cheaper than SS, but the little sods refuse :evil:

I tried it and the bunnies loved it but I did find that Homer's coat went dull. I changed back to Oxow and it is nice and shiny again. :D

he was on it when we first got him from what he had as baby, but i then got him onto excell, but since changed to SS

11 of mine are on it, but Joey my old man,has gone onto Excel mature to get a bit more meat on him.
A&P is great - I've never had a bun with a sticky bum, and barely any tum problems either.
All the rabbits at the sanctuary are on it, apart from some of the elder ones who have trouble keeping on weight.

It's a great food, especially for the price. I'd go with breeder and grower though rather than the natural, the natural is very high in fibre but can cause weight loss

All 7 of mine are on it and there doing great even roger my eldest at 7 i've never known rabbits to like food like my lot like there allen and page harry will even pick them over his veg :shock:

It absolutely flies out here in sack fulls so must be popular, but we did have to switch our own buns off of it as they were losing weight and are now on Science Selective with no problems.

:wave: i may have to get the breeders and growers again for my old man bertie.
When i borrowed then adopted him he was on allen and page natural pellets...but when he bonded with bif..she was on ss and he joined her...and doubled his weight:shock:

tried excel...they hated it!

back on the natural pellets.......he lost the excess but stayed a chunky boy.

now weve lost bif.....merlins still on his wagg pellets he was on at the rescue...and im about to change him over.

mind you bertie noms noms merlins pellets as a treat...the odd tsp:lol:

Thanks everyone, sounds like it is good stuff:Dthink I might change all of mine to it. Where do you buy it from as I have never seen it in shops?

Thanks everyone, sounds like it is good stuff:Dthink I might change all of mine to it. Where do you buy it from as I have never seen it in shops?

you can buy smaller weights from holiday hutch's shop.. if you went to a horse supplier place you would probably have to buy the 20kg sack, it goes off after 3 months too :(

Allen and Page are an excellent company (I know them through horse feed :D)
Most of their products are also approved the Vegetarian Society (so no nasties in there ).
I might try Phoebe on it . She gets a pet shop muesli ( I know, but she likes it..and it's what she's always had for 3+ years.)
I've tried slowly introducing other feeds but she's not struck (didn't mind Wagg too much but Excel was a waste of time and money)
She really likes the Natural Pet Herbs Plus mix but it's fiendishly expensive so I mix it in with her muesli.
She's happy,healthy, with a beautiful shiny coat, and no probs with poos or tum, so I must be doing something right anyways :lol:

Will repeat what others have said
Allen and Page is very good..but if you have an elderly bun you will have better results if you mix the A & P with some SS...or A & P's breeder grower..or Heygates rabbit pellets.., other wise the buns can lose condition

younger buns do really well on them and once changed love them!

I've never had any problems with Excel - I got it because that's what they were on at the rescue. The poops are fine and no sticky buns! I've got some Wagg to try though as it was cheaper, but then I didn't realise it would last so long so cost doesn't really matter so much! My buns go mental for the Excel pellets as well, so I'm not sure they'd appreciate a change!

my lot have been on A&P natural pellets for quite a few years now and love them..changing them froM SS was difficult cos they preferred SS but as i gave them less and less SS they ate up the A&P. Nala did appear to lose some weight to begin with but i gave her a bit more and she has been ok since. I (touch wood) have hardly had any tummy problems over the last 3 yrs theyve been on them although ive probably adjusted other parts of their diet too.

Whats the difference between natual and Breeder & Grower pellets then? I've never given them B&G ones but simba and nala are both 6yr old so wonder if i should.

Will repeat what others have said
Allen and Page is very good..but if you have an elderly bun you will have better results if you mix the A & P with some SS...or A & P's breeder grower..or Heygates rabbit pellets.., other wise the buns can lose condition

I agree - I love A&P but in the winter I need to use the breeder and grower version instead of the naturals as my buns seem to burn more calories in the colder weather and I had probs keeping weight on a few of them.

my vet is concerned how much weight Alvin has lost. (2.45kg - 2.15kg since April) im torn now up A&P and possibly still have weightloss. up wagg and possibly risk gut problems. ideally he should be 2.2kg so hes only a touch under but she said he felt boney :(

ive got till 11pm to decide what im going to do.. arrggghhhh

i know A&P is best for tummies but it never seems to agree with Alvin, his furl losses shine and now hes boney. Holly is thriving on the stuff :? :? :?

Back