• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does fostering work?

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
I am mad about bunnies and Guinea pigs and would love to foster but cant afford vet treatment if they are ill. Hubby would moan about the cost as we struggle day to day anyway. Is there anyway I can do it cheaply?

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

I think becoming a foster mummy is a lovely idea! Where abouts do you live? There may be a rescue in the area who'd be interested. Well done you for being responsible and looking at the options, instead of jumping right in and buying rabbits you can't afford. :thumb:

I'm pretty much 100% certain that rescues pay for any vet treatment - after all you're helping THEM out! Don't forget though that you will have to say goodbye and rehome them, even if you've become attached. I know for that reason I could never foster. :(

Last edited:
:wave: I'm in Dorset too - the only rescue I know of is the Margaret Green place in Wareham. I haven't dared look up any others yet in case I end up with more buns :oops:

I guess each rescue has it's own foster schemes, but just give them a call to see if you can offer any help:D.

Some rescues will provide the hutch/run, cover meds costs and food etc.

I foster but I choose to provide the hutch etc, and I cover the feed and bedding,and I pay for needles and syringes etc for meds, but the rescue covers the cost of the vet checks and the vaccinations.

I used to foster babies for rehoming (very hard to hand them back!!), but as we no longer rehome, the fosters I have are sanctuary bunnies (not re-homeable) and I expect to have them for the rest of their lives.

I will phone around and see what say :) my OH is worried that we will become a bit over run because he knows I won't be able to say no. But I hate to think of an animal without the means for a safe happy life. They don't ask to be born they just have it trust onto them. Thank you for your replies I won't feel so cheeky now when I make the calls.:)

Update: I emailed Margret Green they don't foster their little furries:( On to the next one:)

Last edited:
Back