• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Freaked out when i saw the spay incission today..

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I took my girls in yesterday to be spayed- i freaked out when i saw one grooming the area- thought she was ripping her stiches out. The area looks quite disturbing to look at. My other half said it looks okay, but should i worry about it if they are grooming the area or should they be okay. I don't want to pick her up and hurt her belly area where i can see she has been operated on. She doesnt' have her insides coming out which is a relief as i'm sure i read on here somewhere this has happened to someone on the forum.

They are in the livingroom in an indoor cage i bought from the range. I've nice soft white cotton towels down and newspaper underneath. I've taken the litter tray out as they were all peeing up against the tray instead of in it. I'm instead replacing the towels and newspaper daily.

Any suggestions on anything i can do to make it more comfortable for them. I didn't want to put a pen out for them as they are sitting and laying down and i don't want them to be jumping around with what seems like a big wound.
Ambience xx

Last edited:
If she is just licking the area occasionally then that is fine and normal. If she is constantly licking the area then it means that it could be irritating her and I would take her back to the vet asap - otherwise it's nothing to worry about.

My girl Poko was desexed last week and it took at least 18 hours before she started eating and drinking normally again - she was just nibbling at first and she was still a bit groggy two days afterwards.

Her incision healed in 4 days and I now have her running around free range as she normally does during the day. She recovered quite quickly.

I placed towels in her cage and changed it to a fresh one every day - i'm still using towels and won't go back to her straw bedding for another week probably just to make sure everything is healed and the straw won't irritate anything. So I would probably keep using towels for at least 2 weeks if you can be bothered washing them that is! Haha.

If she is just licking the area occasionally then that is fine and normal. If she is constantly licking the area then it means that it could be irritating her and I would take her back to the vet asap - otherwise it's nothing to worry about.

My girl Poko was desexed last week and it took at least 18 hours before she started eating and drinking normally again - she was just nibbling at first and she was still a bit groggy two days afterwards.

Her incision healed in 4 days and I now have her running around free range as she normally does during the day. She recovered quite quickly.

I placed towels in her cage and changed it to a fresh one every day - i'm still using towels and won't go back to her straw bedding for another week probably just to make sure everything is healed and the straw won't irritate anything. So I would probably keep using towels for at least 2 weeks if you can be bothered washing them that is! Haha.

Thanks for this- all my girls seem to have pulled through fine- will take them for post op on monday to check there stitching- they are really happy eating , drinking and pooing and peeing properly now.

I'm moving house in a month with any luck- so they will all be done and i'll be able to try some group bonding sessions- should be fun. I think the new house would be the perfect time to bond as totally new territory.

Thanks for your support.
Ambience xx

Last edited:
Back