• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some of the Lymington Buns - in their new rescue placement

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Today I took some of the Lymington bunnies up to Wood Green who have very kindly taken quite a number of rabbits from the rescue of 68.

Just to make the point, the rabbits, especially the younger ones actually on the face of it look quite healthy and you would only know upon close inspection that there was anything untoward. Now these bunnies were bound for pet shops and if you went into a pet shop to buy one, would you ask to check the teeth, feel the gut, look closely in the eyes or check the bum? Probably not but we have and whilst looking soft and fluffy, some of the older rabbits have got issues. One of the male lops today appears to either have bleeds or the beginnings of glaucoma/cataracts, the mum of the 4 babies also had eye issues too and the dutch bunnies were desperately nervous.

So when you get a rabbit from the pet shop and you have no idea of the place where they were reared, think about the fact that the seamingly healthy rabbits may, be like these, where the fact they've apparently never seen a vegetable, don't appear to know what to do with hay, may well in due course suffer from major dental disease and gut issues. Not to mention possible skeletal problems from being in such cramped, disgusting conditions.

Many people think that by going to a pet shop they will get a 'new' rabbit with no issues, when in fact this is so often not the case. You are more likely to get a rabbit whose health has atleast been assessed if you go to a rescue and get a second hand one.

This particular mum and babies (there are 5 rabbits in this 3ft hutch) have gone from this.........

30Aug2010006.jpg

To this....

WoodGreen01Sept2010008.jpg

WoodGreen01Sept2010005.jpg

These bunnies were given a short while out in the run whilst their rescue place was set up - being careful not to let them exercise too much too soon as their skeletons won't be used to lots of running around.

Absolutely Helen - it also brings home to me a point that I hadn't really considered before.

My main argument about not buying from pet shops has been that it 'feeds the trade' i.e. it encourages breeders to breed more rabbits, when there are already too many rabbits and not enough rescue places for those which already exist.

It hadn't really occurred to me that another consequence of feeding the trade is that there are likely to be large numbers of rabbits destined for a short, miserable lifetime as a breeding machine behind the scenes (and then what, when their breeding 'career' ends?) It's not just about those destined for the petshop and their uncertain future from there, it's also about those 'left behind'.

Tragic, but so many lessons we can learn from this whole sorry situation. A very big well done to all of you at the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign for making this happen. The RWA doesn't get involved in individual rescues so it's nice to see a campaign really getting its hands dirty and helping out where it really hits the fan.

Last edited:
I can't believe the conditions these poor animals were kept in:cry:

Did I read that the breeder was in the process of burning the hutches (or was that another rescue I'm thinking of??)

I hope this breeder NEVER owns another animal

Well done to all those giving sanctuary to these bunsters and piggies:love:

I can't believe the conditions these poor animals were kept in:cry:

Did I read that the breeder was in the process of burning the hutches (or was that another rescue I'm thinking of??)

I hope this breeder NEVER owns another animal

Well done to all those giving sanctuary to these bunsters and piggies:love:

This lady really did want help and was more than happy to start to dismantle all that we left behind. She (well her husband) was destroying the accommodation as we took the rabbits out.

I totalliy agree with what you say, people never think where the rabbits have been kept prior to arriving at the pet shop, nor would they think of doing a health check no more than the shop would do a home check:?

I've collected rabbits from some awful situations, also if theres a hutch with the rabbit I always try to bring it, which is difficult as my car isn't that big, on one occasion, the woman said you can always leave it, I can sell it:evil:, to which I replied don't worry I've got my hammer to dismantle it if it doesn't fit in (trust me no other rabbit was going to suffer in such a small, wet rotting heap, I had planned to run over it in my car if it wouldn't fit in the boot):?

On a happier note, it's lovely to see these buns exploring their new surroundings, they are beautiful bunnies and deserve a happy ending - well done to all who helped in the rescue:D

They are such cute little buns - the pic of the little face popping out of the temporary hutch is just adorable. Hope they all become happier very soon :)

Those before and after pictures really have a message. Those poor bunnies must be so grateful to have been rescued. :)

Great post and great rescue! :D They looked so cramped in that tiny hutch but so happy now! :love:

I was silly enough to fall for a pet shop bun and brought him home. I just couln't leave him there. :( But it was worth it, I love him so much. :love: Luckily I actually found out who the breeder was! :D It was my Mum's friend's husband!! :lol: It's a small world! He recognised the picture of Jasper from one of my auntie's pictures (he works at same place as her). :) I'm so glad he wasn't kept in those conditions but I feel so sorry for all the bunnies that are. :cry:

Helen, I could cry to see the difference in those buns lives. You can't be told this enough - well done, fantastic effort.

Helen, I could cry to see the difference in those buns lives. You can't be told this enough - well done, fantastic effort.

Caroline thank you but I was only one small part of this. TBH I didn't want to get involved at the beginning as I've got so much on but when it became apparent that it wasn't going to happen, and when Raine said 'shall we', Lorraine having done the Oxford 80, I knew our fate. Besides Jo from Little Warrens and Lisa from The Hay Experts all did the Oxford 80 too so I knew we could cope.

I have to say it's been an emotional rollercoaster and none of us could have done it without the help of all of the wonderful people who got in touch.

Lara, was great and came to help on site too, and Janice is off up with the Blue Cross buns tomorrow to meet Lorraine who will take them on.

Just amazing how much people will do when bunny lives are involved. I love this 'bunny mafia'.

I wonder if the eye issues are EC related ( Cataracts/ Anterior Uveitis )

At least they will all now receive the care they deserve.

I wonder if the eye issues are EC related ( Cataracts/ Anterior Uveitis )

At least they will all now receive the care they deserve.

I think it's very possible Jane, there was quite a lot of scanning too but there is definitely a red eye gene in some of the white/grey pointed buns.

Oh Helen its so lovely seeing them in a nice environment, it makes me quite emotional after walking in there on Monday seeing them in those hideous cages. I'm really honoured to have been a very little part of this, you girls were absolutely fantastic and these buns were soooo lucky you all came together to rescue them. :love: xx

Back