• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit spay

Kareena

Warren Scout
I got Leuki spayed today, and I'm just wondering what the best aftercare for her is. Please advise me. They are usually in a shed, but I have now moved her into the conservatory as my other rabbit is not keen on coming inside. I wanted to keep her inside with me but I don't want to seperate them, what is for the best?

Also when we got home I let her out of the carrier, straight away she hopped about and eat some parsley and had some water, but since then hasn't been eating. How much does she need to eat? She has a follow up appointment tomorrow, which I am impressed by as it's inclusive of the spay. (which cost under £65 including, fibreplex, some pain relief for after plus pain relief injection and antibiotics).

She is also licking herself I'm scared she is going to lick the stitches out.

please any advice would really be appreciated!!

Cant comment on bonded buns as mine was single when I got her spayed but she didn't eat for about a day and a half even though I tried to tempt her with lots of nice things, she was very groggy after it and just basically sat still all night. I suppose its like humans it takes a while to come round after an anesthetic. I kept her in the house for a day as she's normally kept outside and just kept an eye on her. If you get worried though i think the vets are quite happy for you to go back for peace of mind.

She needs to be kept warm so i would advise keeping her inside for tonight atleast. Is there anyway you can keep the buns seperate but so that they cam see and smell eachother? Seperation would be stressful for them both but at the same time she needs to be kept very quiet tonight. If you think her husbun is gentle enough then Id just keep them together.
Keep an eye on her as shes licking her stiches, my little madam Tilly managed to pull one of hers out so we had to make an emergency collar out of a cereal box: one small circle slightly larger than the diameter of her neck and a larger circle around it a few inches apart. Cut out the inner circle and the exess cardboard from around tge edge, cut a slit in it so you can get it around her neck and tape together. I also padded the inside rim of the collar with cotton wool under some tape so it wouldnt chaff.
Another option is to cut the arms and bottom end off a babygrow and put it on her to cover the wound. This is less annoying for the bun so if u do have a babygrow handy go for this. But if ur in an emergency situation like i was, the collar will be fine for a day or so, just make sure ur bun can eat and drink properly.
If shes still reluctant to eat tommorrow ask the vet for some painkillers.
Sending get well vibes for her xxxxxx

Thankyou for the replies, I was wondering about a baby grow and I do have some spare so that is a good option hopefully. The vet gave me some painkillers which I can give her once a day from tomorrow. It's nice to know how others coped, it just feels so hard when it's you going through it. Her husbun is now scared of me which is really upsetting me as well, and won't come near me for me to bring him to her. I might try now but I really don't want to stress him more.
Thankyou again!

Watch the eating and have some Critical Care handy. Lady had hers on Friday and refused to eat until Monday so we had to syringe feed her.
We let her and Donnie back together straight away and he sensed he needed to be gentle. Our vet told us to try keep everything as normal as possible for her so as not to stress her.
She also managed to rip out a surgical staple :censored: that they put in because she groomed so much that the top of the scar was slightly open.
But its all healed over already so vet said not to worry.
She's back to her bouncy self now TG :D

Back