• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things to put in a hutch?

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Im a bit worried my two might get bored :oops: They spend alot of time in the hutch and prefer to sit in there than in the run :roll: They have a big little tray wth hay in, thier chair :oops: and upstairs i've put a green tunnel in the 'doorway' between the living area and 'bedroom'

What else can go in there? they need to be gummy bunny friendly :wave:

My lot like wood chews/twigs or even just a cardboard box in their playhouse. Rabbits do chill out during the middle of the day, so if they are insdie then, they are probably not too bored, just sleepy:lol:.

Im a bit worried my two might get bored :oops: They spend alot of time in the hutch and prefer to sit in there than in the run :roll: They have a big little tray wth hay in, thier chair :oops: and upstairs i've put a green tunnel in the 'doorway' between the living area and 'bedroom'

What else can go in there? they need to be gummy bunny friendly :wave:

I was all ready to list all of Biscuit's toys until i read the last sentence :?

Not sure what Gummy Bunny's can do as i dont have any experience of them i'm afraid. Do you have enough space to make a few cardboard box tunnels, e.g get lots of boxes and cut a few holes and join them so they can hop through them etc?

I was all ready to list all of Biscuit's toys until i read the last sentence :?

Not sure what Gummy Bunny's can do as i dont have any experience of them i'm afraid. Do you have enough space to make a few cardboard box tunnels, e.g get lots of boxes and cut a few holes and join them so they can hop through them etc?

List them anyway :wave: Sebastian has front teef but Mae doesnt, i didnt want her to feel left out :oops:

Its a 5x2x4 hutch ( two nethies so thats okay :thumb: ) I might put a plant pot in for them and alternate between boxes and the chair, they have a big box but its in the run atm :wave:

hmm maybe, can they be lowered? they are only small :lol: What litter are you using in the tray? xx

You can put them up as high or low as you like - mine are hanging from hooks in the ceiling, but you could hang them on the bars so that they're lower :)

I use Megazorb as their litter. Fab stuff!

xxx

oooh where did you get them from?! they sound like a good idea :D

ooh i see i thought it was clay cat littler :shock:

here's what i've got in the hutch
2po9jqp.jpg

tube from the living area
s45aqd.jpg

tube from the supposed bedroom area

a very alice in wonderland looking chair
znwl75.jpg

imry47.jpg

in the litter tray :oops:

The small silver ones you can get all over the place, but there's a blue one here which might fit in with your hutch colour scheme ;)

http://www.ratwarehouse.com/shop_view.php?cat=6

Or, the green twisty one was £1 from Equine Canine Feline when I bought some other bits and pieces, but it doesn't hold stuff as well as the smaller ones, I think.

xxx

I would say levels, things to jump on and off and hide under but it seems you have that!

Mine don't really have toys. I prefer to give them more floor area. So they have an ottoman they jump on and off (and chew - but no worries about that with a gummy bunny), wooden logs to chew - again not suitable, a tunnel, soft things to lay on and that's about it.

i might put a blanket in there, if Sebastian doesnt decide its a chew toy!

I found a ball thingy on the hay experts for £1 something so i might buy that and paint it :lol:

Im also going to get a half moon wire basket type thing to use as a hay rack :) (and paint that blue :oops: ) it sounds like theres not much else i can put in there, maybe some small balls to nudge/throw

would tennis balls be okay? or even plastic cat ones?

I put a roof tile in the litter tray and now it his favourite spot to sit on. Its cool in summer and I think he just likes to be high up surrounded by his hay :lol:

He also has a few wooden chew things, but doesnt chew them, I get fresh apple twigs for him regularly, but I assume you could hang up fresh edibles of other sorts on the hutch side to keep them amused? Herby leaves and fresh grass stuffed in a tube and hung on the side of the hutch seems to last him the longest. Mostly he just flops or plays on his ramp to his hutch.

I put a roof tile in the litter tray and now it his favourite spot to sit on. Its cool in summer and I think he just likes to be high up surrounded by his hay :lol:

He also has a few wooden chew things, but doesnt chew them, I get fresh apple twigs for him regularly, but I assume you could hang up fresh edibles of other sorts on the hutch side to keep them amused? Herby leaves and fresh grass stuffed in a tube and hung on the side of the hutch seems to last him the longest. Mostly he just flops or plays on his ramp to his hutch.

i would but my doggy would eat them :lol: thanks for those ideas, hmm tiles and bricks for standing on?

Im also going to get a half moon wire basket type thing to use as a hay rack :) (and paint that blue :oops: ) it sounds like theres not much else i can put in there, maybe some small balls to nudge/throw

You could get those treat dispenser balls and put their pellets in there for them to push around and get the treats out. Only trouble with that is that one might hog it!

xxx

You could get those treat dispenser balls and put their pellets in there for them to push around and get the treats out. Only trouble with that is that one might hog it!

xxx

i had one of those! Sebastian hated it and would just stare at it :p even when i showed him that pellets came from it :lol:

Back