• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxo is poorly

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
About 2 weeks ago Oxo didn't seem to be putting all his weight onto his right back leg. I gave him playhouse rest and the next day put him out on the grass with Lavender and he seemed fine, using leg as normal.

Last night at supper time he appeared to have lost the use of his back leg but seemed bright in himself and ate all his supper. This morning he seems to have a problem with both his back legs.

I took him to the vets at 10.30am this morning. The vet gave him a Metacam jab and a Panacure jab. He watched him move on the floor and checked his legs and spine. So he is being treated for possible EC. I have to give him Panacur for the next 28 days.

Question: I have some Metacam at home which has one month left before the expirery date although I opened it 2 years ago. As it has been opened for all that time will it still be OK to use or not?

Please send vibes for little man OXO's speedy recovery.
Thanks

Personally, I would leave the Metacam if he has already had some today, you don't want to overdose. You can always ring the vet and ask if he can have more pain relief and how to get this if you need to.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

I am sorry I can't answer your question as I have never used Panacur, but I really hope that OXO gets better sson

Hi im not sure about the Metacam but if its been kept in the fridge with the lid tightly on i would *think* it was ok.

Just wanted to send loads of get well soon vibes to Oxo xxxx

Is the Metacam bottle unopened ? If not then it needs binning.

Oxo will require daily Metacam during the full 28 day course of treatment. This is to try to minimise the inflammatory response to erupting EC spores. It is the inflammatory response that causes clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage.

Are you treating all in contact Rabbits and any Rabbit who has had access to the same terrain as Oxo ? EC is spread via spores shed in an infected Rabbit's urine. So any urine contaminated area will be a source of cross infection as the spores remain viable outside of the host for up to 30 days.

I hope Oxo responds to treatment x

Oh no poor Oxo :( sending lots of quick recovery and get well vibes from me and D&D! I think it actually says on my metacam box use within 6 months of opening!

Will throw away the metacam. The vet gave him one shot which lasts for 24 hours, he didn't say anything else about daily Metacam so I don't have any more :shock:

So do all 10 bunnies plus foster babies need Panacuring now as a preventtive measure ?:shock: :shock: :shock:

Awww bless him, poor Oxo :( Lots & lots of vibes for him.

When Wilson was poorly with headtilt last year, we panacured all of ours as a precaution for 28 days too but I'd check with your vet.

We also had Wilson on daily panacur for any pain associated with his headtilt. Did you vet say to take him back at all or to just see how he goes?

I'd tempted to ring them to ask about metacam & if he thinks you need it everyday or not etc. If you do you'll need a new bottle as it only lasts for 6 months from opening.

My vet knows I have other bunnies and that Oxo lives with Lavender. He just said to take him back in 28 days unless he gets worse beforwe then. I think I will order Metacam and Panacur from Vet UK now.

Just spoken to one of my friends who had a bunny with EC and she said exactly the same as Jacks-Jane! I'm not sure you can get metacam without prescription?! If not I'd definately badger your vet for a new bottle!

I ordered Panacure off vetuk yesterday and phoned my vets and told him I need Metacam. I can collect the Metacam today.

Oxo seems much the same bless him. Guess it will take a while. He is having playhouse rest. I have removed the ramp so he has to stay on the ground floor.

Lots of vibes for Oxo, I hope the daily Metacam helps him. And good luck administering Panacur to all your buns!:shock:

Back