• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inhumane - The RSPCA & Argos & Homebase

Deevee

Young Bun
Hi
I thought I would post this to you to make you all aware of the following article that features in Pet Product marketing magazine (Sept issue)

It is about the size of cages sold at Argos and Homebase. The RWAF have bought this to their attention as they are way too small and Argos and Homebase have replied that they have spoken to the RSPCA about the cages and the RSPCA have responded by saying 'They have no current recommendations as to size and measurements for a cage for a single rabbit'
The RSPCA said the reason they said this is beacuse they do not recommend rabbits being housed on their own so did not provide guidance.

This seems so out of order that they had the ideal opportunity to stop these retailers selling these small cages and they chose not to.

The retailers said that if the RSPCA's recommendations should change, we can be assured they will follow guidelines. (This shows they are prepared to stop selling them if the RSPCA say so)
I think we all need to write to the RSPCA !

Here is a thread to the article. I hope it works as I am new to Photobucket.
If it doesn't, please let me know the easiest way to put this article up so you can all read it as it is very important.

ArticleP2-1.jpg

PIc1-1.jpg

Article-1.jpg

There's some pretty big plans in the pipeline for rabbit welfare, coming from the RSPCA top people. I would hope this (as in hutch sizes, etc) will be an issue that would arise from all of that. That's my hope, at any rate.

I think it is still worth writing a letter or email though, won't do any harm.

Is there a link anywhere to that article as I would like to print one off so I can hand out to small pet shops selling crappy hutches.

I'm glad that at least some awareness is happening over these tiny hutches. I get so angry when I see hutches outside petshops that wouldn't be big enough for a baby nethie let alone an adult rabbit.

I feel that the RSPCA needs to set guidelines publicly for acceptable minimum size hutches, I'm a homechecker for our local branch and the homecheck forms actually state the minimum size suitable as being 6x2x2 with attached run :?

There's some pretty big plans in the pipeline for rabbit welfare, coming from the RSPCA top people. I would hope this (as in hutch sizes, etc) will be an issue that would arise from all of that. That's my hope, at any rate.

I also hope its very soon!!!

There is no link on their website as yet as the August issue is still on sale. Will keep an eye on it.

But, the RWAF also say that when they approach companies stocking small hutches, they always get the same answer and that is that there isn't a law to enforce hutch sizes for single rabbits.

Until that changes then why should companies care? As long as their 4ft "hutches" are selling well and bringing in money, why should they change their products?

The picture of 'Treacle' in that hutch :cry:

I think the RSPCA should have said something along the lines of..

Rabbits should not be kept on their own, therefore you should not be selling hutches for single rabbits. Our reccomendations for a pair of rabbits is...

You would of thought they would have said something though wouldn't you?!

They could also have said that although it is not recommended to keep a single rabbit our recommended hutch size for 1 or preferably 2 rabbits is 6x2x, 2 etc.

People will always still keep a single rabbit, my rabbit is a lone rabbit, and, whilst not condoning this, the RSPCA should be acknowledging it will still happen whilst still highlighting the 2 is better than 1 recommendation.

By ignoring this fact, they are leaving a huge loophole for manufacturers to fall back on. The minimum hutch size should therefore apply to 1 OR 2 rabbits.

The picture of 'Treacle' in that hutch :cry:

I think the RSPCA should have said something along the lines of..

Rabbits should not be kept on their own, therefore you should not be selling hutches for single rabbits. Our reccomendations for a pair of rabbits is...

You would of thought they would have said something though wouldn't you?!

I was thinking the same thing, the RSPCA's response was a bit gutless.:?

The RSPCA's response was gutless which is why I am writing them a letter to confirm i have cancelled my donation to them because of this article and will not reinstate the donation until they admit something needs to be done.

I do love what the RSPCA do and there work and feel a little guilty doing this, but I would feel much better at the moment giving my money to someone like RWA and rabbit rehome rather than them, or doubling my donation I currently give to the rabbit residence.

If you feel the same about the RSPCA's response to this article, write them a letter too. The retailers have said if the guidelines change, they will change what they sell.

Here's a thought, why not post a few negative reviews on the argos website under this product. To the effect that, too small, too flimsy, etc. :D

Unfortunately when the Animal Welfare Act was passed it had "no teeth" and only made suggestions and gave guidelines:cry:.

Without a difinitive law the RSPCA doesn't have the power they need to block retailers from selling these little wooden coffins for rabbits:cry:

Here's a thought, why not post a few negative reviews on the argos website under this product. To the effect that, too small, too flimsy, etc. :D

Apologies for dragging up a dead thread but..

I handle legal checks at an individual store level and I can say that a certain catalogue store has WITHDRAWN it's rabbit hutches from sale - probably as a result of this coming to light. There isn't a release to sale date on them yet, just the default of a year. Technically I'm not supposed to mention this so Ssh ;)

Back