• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Checking your bunny's claws etc

KB26

Young Bun
Hello all :wave:

I'm keen to make sure I check Chesney regulary for anything out of the ordinary - by that I mean keeping an eye on his claws, anus etc - esp since he is due to be neutered soon.

My problem is he runs away from me if I so much as move to touch his feet...let alone anything else! Even when he is relaxed and I'm stroking his head / shoulders he leaps up if i go near his hindquarters.

Can anyone advise me? I've heard of so-called 'bunny trancing' but the idea worries me a bit...!!

Oh this Q applies for trimming his claws - I dread trying to do that!!!

hey :wave: when i need to do any checks on my two i hold them with thier backs against my body and slowly tip them back so i can thier bums :) they get used to it after a while :) on the claw clipping, i have NO idea, im dreading having to do it :shock:

I usually take my lot to the vets for their claws. It costs about £6 each but it's worth it because with Inky it is a two man job (he has dark claws and a wonky toe)!

If your rabbit has white claws, it's relatively easy to do yourself. Put them on a towel on a table and sort of cover them with your body. You do one side first (just cut a bit above the pink inside or to the length of the fur is usually right), then turn them round and do the other side. Smokey is pretty calm with this method and as you are only lifting one foot in turn, it's not so stressful.

My top tip is to buy proper claw trimmers from a pet shop.

Thank you very much for the tips :) Think the vets might be the way to go for my little wriggly bunny ;) x

Back