• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny won't take metacam. Any tips?

BunnBunns

Young Bun
Heyho! My bunny had a little "work" done on his teeth yesterday, none taken out, just filed down I believe. I am having difficulty giving him his 0.7 of metacam. The lady at the vet said it tastes quite nice so rabbits are usually okay taking it but my bunny is so not up for it.

I have tried letting him lick it from the syringe - nothing. I tried to pick him up and maybe sit the syringe in his mouth - he bit my shoulder! (He's never bitten me before). Yesterday, he wouldn't even let the vet look in his mouth so I just don't know how I am going to do this.

Has anybody got any tips on how they usually give it to their bunny?

Thanks guys.

My Herbie is a dental bun and sometimes has to have Metacam. He has 0.2ml once a day and I always syringe it in. The syringe goes nicely in the little gap at the side of the mouth, between the incisors and the molars. Have you got someone who could help you, one to hold bunny while the other does the syringing? If you're on your own and he's being stroppy, you could try wrapping him in a towel to restrict his movement and stop him wriggling.

Take him to an area he isn't used to. Sit him on the floor or a table and hold him firmly. Put something behind his bum so he can't shuffle backwards. Put your hand on top of his head. Slide the syringe into the side of his mout where there are no teeth and push the plunger. It can be hard with a wriggly bun , you might try wrapping in a towl.

I used to wrap my bun in a towel, then lay him down and stroke him until he went into his 'trance'. Slowly, i'd sit him up and get it in behind the molars while he was relaxed. After a while they get better at taking it, and my bun used to come to me on a morning to remind me to give him it

Oh gosh, I know this feeling. Charlie had me in tears when I first had to give him medication (antibiotis after his neutering). In the end I had to get up super early every morning along with my OH so he could help. But now I can easily do it myself (he's currently on 2 types of meds that need syringing for his little tummy). I sit down with my knees up, pick him up so he's facing away from me and place his front little paws on the top of my knees. This lets me place his syringe in his mouth from the side and let him lick it. He hates the Ranitidine so have to hold him, and he wriggles loads, but as long as your firm but gentle with your bun, they soon learn that you arn't going to hurt them, and that they still have to take their meds not matter how much they resist!

I really hope it goes well! xxx

Hi, I have a French Lop who has dentals regularly and have found the easiest way to get him to take meds is to put them on a small bit of dry toast, with metacam he will just eat it but had to recently give him Panacur and found that he would only eat that if I let it dry and then put a very small amount of honey or marmalade on top. It works everytime for him.:wave:

Sarah

I had regular occassions in one bunnies life I had to syringe feed her with metacam, antibiotics, rescue formula, you name it.

The only thing I found which helped was practice, I was afraid of hurting my bun every time. It even brought me to tears the first few times, however the more you do it, the more both you and your bun get used to it.

One option, seeing as there's never really that much metacam in the syringe is to 'trance' the rabbit on their back. It seems to calm them down enough for you to get the syringe into their mouth.

Another hint, don't put the syringe in from the front, as you have those infamous insisors there. Try and poke the syringe at the side, behind the front teeth, and infront of the molars. If you look at a diagram of rabbits teeth there's a big gap between the front and back teeth, you can get the syringe in there easier.

Good luck :D

we have one bun who hates the small syringes but who will happily lick the end of a syringe with a very fat end.
worth a try?
sue:wave:

I did a kind of metacam butty! lol I mushed up some banana - put the metacam on it then put another bit of mushed up banana on top of it, mushed it all in together and then gave it Dizzi.

HTH, Jo x

You guys are lucky. I tried putting metacam in and on alsorts of treats, fruits etc all with no luck. She just wouldn't have it! I think it was that very distinctive smell that she seemed to notice everytime.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I wrapped him in a towel and administered it, after a taste he was like *licking lips* "mmmm yes, yes this is most agreeable - give!" so I'm hoping it won't be as much of a chore tomorrow!

Thanks again chaps!

Thank you all so much for your advice. I wrapped him in a towel and administered it, after a taste he was like *licking lips* "mmmm yes, yes this is most agreeable - give!" so I'm hoping it won't be as much of a chore tomorrow!

Thanks again chaps!

My bun has it daily and LOVES his metacam. I only have to call his name and say 'medicine' and he's practically in my lap trying to swallow the whole syringe!! They love it - won't be long before your bun learns that it tastes very nice and makes him feel better. :)

Take him to an area he isn't used to. Sit him on the floor or a table and hold him firmly. Put something behind his bum so he can't shuffle backwards. Put your hand on top of his head. Slide the syringe into the side of his mout where there are no teeth and push the plunger. It can be hard with a wriggly bun , you might try wrapping in a towl.

I would recommend this way too. Mine really object to any sort of medicine and I find this way always works. I sometimes kneel on the floor and secure them between my knees which frees up my hands for holding their head and sorting the syringe.

Good luck!!

My bun has it daily and LOVES his metacam. I only have to call his name and say 'medicine' and he's practically in my lap trying to swallow the whole syringe!! They love it - won't be long before your bun learns that it tastes very nice and makes him feel better. :)

I've found this with Artie who is also on daily metacam. I give it to him on food but he comes buzzing and very excited when he knows it's metacam time.

Back