• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

built a outside enclosure and wonder how far rabbits can dig to escape.

garry1974

Young Bun
built my two rabbits and outside enclosure with there hutch inside it.
it measures about 2m by 2.4m with a perspex roof. put the rabbits in and for about a week they have been on but the last few days they have realised they can dig and boy are they making up for lost time.
i have used 40cm square paving slabs all around the edge and they have the centre which we dug out then filled up with play sand for them. just wondering would they be able to dig there way out which would mean they would have to dig about 50cm to reach freedom. the rabbits are put away in there hutch at night and let out in the mornings and are normally out all day long.
thanks garry

I've no idea, but judging on the size of their warrens in the wild i don't think 50cms would be much of a challenge tbh. I attached wire mesh under mine, but they are on grass so it's grown through which has stopped their paws getting sore, if you can't put them on grass i'd maybe entirely cover it with slabs then buy one of those kiddies sand pits to put their play sand in

ETA -Don't forget too if a bunny can burrow out then other things (foxes etc) can also burrow in, so i'd definitely look at completely paving/meshing their run.

Last edited:
They can dig as far as they want given enough time. I always secure runs completely on the bottom.

Some of the rabbits at the sanctuary have dug enormous holes. Others have dug really long tunnels - the latest one was nearly 6ft long, and we missed it cos they had built a ledge down the hole, and the tunnel went off under the ledge:shock:

It depends how much of a digger they are really , but personally I'd be cautious.

Check the holes each day and if necessary keep filling them in - they'll no doubt wait for you to turn your back and start all over again!!!

our pair of rabbits dug 4ft a day so we had to fill in each day. They took it in turns so there was constant digging. Our lawn is still lumpy years after they have gone.:lol::lol::D
We used to check with a broom handle.If it went down up to the brush part we filled it in.
sue
if 2.5cms = 1 inch then 50cms is only 20 inches!!! They will dig down that much while you go in for tea!:lol::lol::lol:

ps (we slabbed the whole area under the run then layed the turf on top)

Back