• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does this behaviour mean?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
What does it mean when buns put their chin on top of another rabbit? I used to think it was a sign of affection, but I've noticed than only my more dominant rabbits do it...so perhaps it's really a dominance thing?

I think it is a dominance thing. I remember reading someone a way to tell your bunny you are in charge is to put the palm of your hand on its head.

Part of working out the pecking order so to speak!

If i'm right (correct me if im not anyone!) but if a bun puts their head on the ground beneath another buns head, its asking to be groomed, hence being the dominant bun and asking the submissive bun to groom.

But with regards to its head on top of the other, im confused!

Putting their head underneath the other buns mouth is a sign of submission. However when they are bonded you will see both the submissive and dominant buns doing it because they also like being groomed.

When they rub their chin on something they are scent marking it as "theirs". So in terms of relationships between rabbits I think it's a sign of dominance. I've only seen one of mine doing that to another rabbit and he is the dominant one.

actually Tim a rabbit putting it's head down to the others mouth is being dominant..as in it is saying . "you groom me "..while bonding we see it a lot
the dominant bun will mount then get off and ask to be groomed..if no response will mount again..this goes on until the submissive one gives in and grooms regularly..you may later get mutual grooming but initially this head down is normally the bossy one!

As for head on top..I have assumed it was a well bonded pair just relaxing..as have seen both buns in various pairs do this

actually Tim a rabbit putting it's head down to the others mouth is being dominant..as in it is saying . "you groom me "..while bonding we see it a lot
the dominant bun will mount then get off and ask to be groomed..if no response will mount again..this goes on until the submissive one gives in and grooms regularly..you may later get mutual grooming but initially this head down is normally the bossy one!

As for head on top..I have assumed it was a well bonded pair just relaxing..as have seen both buns in various pairs do this

Agree with this. :)

The context of the behaviour I'm referring to is when both rabbits are sitting or standing rather than relaxing, and one rabbit will very deliberately place it's chin over the back or neck of the other rabbit (not grooming or chinning/scenting).

It's not a behaviour I see a lot, but I think it's done very deliberately for some purpose I can't fathom as a non-lagomorph

In that context I see this behaviour as a 'posession claiming' one, particularly if one bun feels under threat from external factors. For example, Nino does this to Poppy sometimes in the same context if my husband happens to be around or talking in particular/stroking Poppy. I always think of it that Nino is saying in a very gentle way... 'hands off she's mine'! :lol: He doesn't do it with me as i'm not a threat to him from a male point of view. Like you say, doesn't happen very often at all. Just my take on it. :)

When I go to the bun room door way, Bobby will place her head on top of Carlos, almost as if to say, he is mine

I disagree, I see chasing quite often and it often ends with the submissive rabbit putting their head down low underneath the dominant rabbits head.

Back