• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too Late...

I have just found this forum too late I feel, my 8 year old boy Sweep was PTS on the 24/08/2010 by a vet called Emily at Cheshire Pets.

At 6 1/2 years old he started rolling, he was treated with steroids, baytril, panomec and was well for for another year in which he was also given Lapizole and had gained a cataract until it started again, this time he was treated with the same medications at Companion Care, it worked for one week and it then it started again, so he was given the medication again, however on the 24/08/2010 he collapsed after being off balance and falling over and was just lying there, so I took him to Cheshire Pets where I was told to PTS.

Im not sure what else could be done, you listen to the vets dont you?

BUT now im on the guilt trip because that same morning he was eating and drinking and running around normally and was mentally alert until the end.

I chose Cheshire Pets because I wanted him to see Molly Varga, however she was on holiday at the time, so it was left to another vet.

I dont know what to do with myself I cant eat or sleep properly since...

Last edited:
I have just found this forum too late I feel, my 8 year old boy Sweep was PTS on the 24/08/2010 by a vet called Emily at Cheshire Pets.

At 6 1/2 years old he started rolling, he was treated with steroids, baytril, panomec and was well for for another year in which he was also given Lapizole and had gained a cataract until it started again, this time he was treated with the same medications at Companion Care, it worked for one week and it then it started again, so he was given the medication again, however on the 24/08/2010 he collapsed after being off balance and falling over and was just lying there, so I took him to Cheshire Pets where I was told to PTS.

Im not sure what else could be done, you listen to the vets dont you?

BUT now im on the guilt trip because that same morning he was eating and drinking and running around normally and was mentally alert until the end.

I chose Cheshire Pets because I wanted him to see Molly Varga, however she was on holiday at the time, so it was left to another vet.

I dont know what to do with myself...

I am so sorry to hear of your lads passing :cry:

It sounds as though he had a long battle against EC. Unfortunately sometimes the damage this parasite does is so extreme that a Bun cannot survive it.

I cant comment about the Vet who advised PTS but I would strongly advise you to request a meeting with her to discuss how you are now feeling. Of course nothing can bring your Bun back, but having a face to face meeting with the Vet and airing your doubts might help in your grieving. Your lad would not want you to be angry and resentful.He would not want you to feel you let him down, YOU DID NOT. He would want you to treasure the many happy memories of the time you shared, to take strength from the fact that the love you feel for him will NEVER EVER die. He will remain in your heart and in time the raw agony of loss will become a dull ache that you learn to live with. You'll do it for him as you know that is just what he would want. He loved you as much as you loved and will ALWAS love him

xx

I'm so sorry. Wish I could say something to make it all better. :( :cry:

Let all your feelings out and we will listen. (((hugs)))

Ah im so sorry for your loss :cry:

Please dont blame yourself. You obviously loved him and cared for him brilliantly. Like jane said EC can be an extremely stubborn illness to recover from, especially in an elderly bun. My Mimi rolled severely due to an ear infectuon and i saw how much it took its toll on her, an otherwise healthy 2yr old. Maybe it was just that your boy had had enough and was exhausted.
It must be horrific if u think he was PTS too soon, and i second the opinion that you should arrange a meeting with the vet to discuss it.
In a way the fact that he was lively and eating beforehand means he was not in any due pain or distress, a lovely way to go.
The loss of a beloved bun is heart wrenching and soul destroying. Look after yourself and give urself plenty of time to grieve. It never goes away but it will get easier i promise.
Thinking of you xxxx

Really sorry to hear about your poor bunny, you did everything you could for him though which is loads more than a lot of bunny owners would do.:(

so sorry to hear about you loss, we lost eeyore a few weeks ago, we had left him with somebody who has looked after him before. we came home on the sunday , we had to have him put to sleep on the monday, it broke our hearts so i know wot u are going through, i blame myself, if we hadnt gone away , he may be still here.it was so hard wen i took him to the vets and he said there was nothing they could do, i have now changed vets because after being on this site and finding things out about rabbits and treatments for them, i realised they didnt really know much about the, my new vet is great. lots of advice. hope you be okay. being on this site really helped me get through my grief, its still there but thanks to this site i am able to manage it more

I'm so sorry to hear this:(
You don't need to feel guilty, you had a whole 8 years with him, he was lucky to have you as his owner and you were lucky to have him for that long, i'm sure he loved you just as much as you loved him, hes know free from pain and illness at Rainbow Bridge - rabbit heaven with all the food he could eat, all the toys he could play with and he will be looking over you. xxx

So sorry to hear about your bunny. He was obviously very much loved and very well cared for.
It was our decision to have our beautiful Squidgy (around 8 years old also) PTS, but we still felt guilty that we'd done it too soon. Your bun had a wonderful life and was cared for, everything that was done was done with love and that is what's important to him.
Sending very many hugs.

So sorry for your loss. I agree that maybe you should talk to the vet to put your mind at rest.

Don't feel guilty - you obviously cared so much for your bunny. x

I'm really sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else - you made every effort to help Sweep and keep him out of pain. We have to place so much trust in our vets, so yes please go and talk to her. If you're still not happy afterwards, you can look to finding a new vet.

Thinking of you. Binky free Sweep xxx

so sorry to hear this but it is normal to have doubts about this as it is such a huge thing to have to do especially when we love them so much. I tortutred myself after doing the same and it took me along time to accept i had done the right thing.. you will get there and talking to your vet may clear things up for you and make you understand better.

My rabbit had headtilt and collapsed i chose to give him a chance and he spent the next 48 hours getting worse before he passed away..i felt bad for that too so there is not alwasy a right decision to make.

please try not to feel bad as you gave him a good life and obviously loved him dearly. Don't dwell on what could have been but try and focus on the happy times you had
sending hugs xx

Please don't feel guilty. The hardest act of love is to put to sleep an ill pet. Sounds like he had a very long and tough battle.

Like Gemma I had a rabbit that had a tough battle with EC. I was told I should put him to sleep after only a few weeks but we were seeing improvement in him. It really does sound that for your rabbit it unfortunately had got to a stage where he had maybe given up and had no strength left to fight. I think if it had been Mischa collapsed and not moving or attempting to get up I would've made the same decision as you had to.

I think Jane's suggestion of having a meeting with the vet to get straight all the questions you have (probably an idea to write these down) would help you to get some closure.

I'm really sorry you've had to go through all this and am thinking of you.

Back