• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PETS @ HOME unwanted bunny now very poorly!!

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Some of you may remember the dilemma that a RU member had regarding a bunny at P@H in Trafford that had been there for weeks and whom noone wanted as its ears were both on one side?? My heart strings were tugged severely and as the little boy was still there a week later I decided to travel up there and get him - I called him ALFIE and he is GORGEOUS. He was always quiet and not very lively and late last night he didn't seem great - this morning he looked collapsed and not great so I took him straight to the vets. He has stasis and is drinking loads of water but no food - vet says he is underweight and is also not a dwarf lop but a bigger lop! He has been syringe fed today and will eat if fed this way but she is concerned that he may not eat by himself. He has weed but not pooped anything. She also says that sometimes buns from stores who have been there a long time sometimes do not fare well. Anyone heard the same? Have any advice or knowledge on this? Also prayers please for this little lad - we love him soooo much:love::cry:

He sounds lovely, I hope he starts to eat and poop again. Has the vet given the gut stimulant one (is it Metaclopramide? Hope someone can confirm) but anyway an injection to get them eating again, as well as pain relief, just in case he is in pain at all? did they check his teeth?

I hope he will be ok, sending loads of vibes for him.

It's a good sign that he is drinking :) Keep him moving and try and tempt him with his favourite foods. Mine go mad for dandelion leaves and they are great for tempting buns to eat x x

Have only had him a week so he hasn't got any favs as yet - he is staying overnight at the vets - hopefully if and when he comes home he can have anything he wants! He was in P@H for about 12 weeks with noone wanting him:cry:

I remember this fella.
Really hope he gets better...sat in a shop for yonks and now poorly.Come on Alfie!! Youve got a life to lead!!!!!!!!!

Grrr P@H make me so angry! :evil: I think it's wrong that rabbits (and any other animal actually) can be sold like some kind of impulse buy, you can't get dogs or cats in pet stores anymore so why rabbits?

anyway rant over, we have fingers, toes and paws crossed here for your little fighter x

Some of you may remember the dilemma that a RU member had regarding a bunny at P@H in Trafford that had been there for weeks and whom noone wanted as its ears were both on one side?? My heart strings were tugged severely and as the little boy was still there a week later I decided to travel up there and get him - I called him ALFIE and he is GORGEOUS. He was always quiet and not very lively and late last night he didn't seem great - this morning he looked collapsed and not great so I took him straight to the vets. He has stasis and is drinking loads of water but no food - vet says he is underweight and is also not a dwarf lop but a bigger lop! He has been syringe fed today and will eat if fed this way but she is concerned that he may not eat by himself. He has weed but not pooped anything. She also says that sometimes buns from stores who have been there a long time sometimes do not fare well. Anyone heard the same? Have any advice or knowledge on this? Also prayers please for this little lad - we love him soooo much:love::cry:

Has Alfie been given fluids and pain relief by the vet today? If not, I would strongly suggest popping him back tonight so that he can be given these things. Sounds to me like he is very dehydrated and in stasis and these two things are vital emergency measures. I would also want to make sure he did not have an obstruction somewhere - did the vets Xray his tummy? This might be a sensible idea if he continues in this way this evening. Once you know all is clear in the guts you can really kick the stasis with syringe feeding every 2 hours, syringe fluids (on top of sub-cut fluids given by the vet (or IV depending how bad he is) and gut motility medication. Stasis requires a great deal of medical support. Pain relief and adequate hydration of the gut by either sub-cut or IV fluids is vital. I hope he feels better soon x

This is ALFIE when he was still at P@H - pic kindly taken by RU member up that way

4022410.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Awww what a gorgeous boy:love::love::love:. Sending massive pooping vibes for him, come on little lad fight the odds and make your mummy proud.xxx

Aww what a cute little boy! :love:
Come on little Alfie you can do it sweetie! As Turk says on scrubs 'Imagine there are tiny men inside your booty, pushing the dookee' :lol::oops:

My little man :love::love::love:

Sending millions of vibes. I've not stopped thinking about him since I laid eyes on him weeks ago (despite the fact I thought (and was told!) he was a she!). I really hope he pulls through, it will break my heart if anything bad is to happen to him :cry:

Thanks everyone - this little lad means a lot to us - like the others of course - but when they are delicate they need extra love and attention - so hope he pulls through tonight - will ask the vet tomorrow about the treatment he has had so far so thanks for the advice - I am so looking forward to giving him a forever home brimming with love after his bad start at P@H - COME ON LITTLE ALFIE _ we are all routing(?) for you xxxx:love:

Im going through the same thing just now not with a bun my piggie :( Pixie was with me not even 2 weeks and she ended up with severe weightloss and a bacterial chest infection the vet didnt seem to think she would make it but she did :love: my hamster was from P@H as well and he ended up suffering a popped eye :censored: I will NEVER rehome from P@H and do you know that most animals in the rehome part are the ones p@H deem t be "too old" to sell? Honestly i even grudge buying dog food from them now :censored: hope Alfie pulls through lots of vibes sent xxxx

Back