• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions Decisions - Inside or Out?

Where should my bunnies live?

• Outside

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Inside

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

wally4eva

Mama Doe
Ok, so hopefully next summer we will be moving house.
I know its a whole year away and we haven't even found a house yet but I like to plan ahead... soo I am thinking about bunny accomodation:)

I've come to get the opnions of RU because you are the experts!

My options are...

1) Have the bunnies outside in a big shed and as big as i'm aloud aviary run attatched.

2) Have them inside either in the bedroom or living room and let them have free range of my bedroom when out and (if my parents agree, which they may not at the start but i'm sure after the buns are properly litter trained and they are won over by the buns charms) be allowed to free range the whole house ( well most of it) while we are in.
On top of this hopefully me and my dad may build an aviary for them to go in outside or a big run:)

I'm swaying towards inside because I would love to have bunnies around all day:love:

So what would you do?

I've added a poll to make it more obvious what most people think, but please explain why you voted for what you did:):D

I think I can guess already that most people will say inside:D
I would sooo love having bunnies inside, if I can come to an agreement with my parents that is probably what we will do:D

I think it depends on your situation and the bunnies.

Can you bunproof a couple of rooms easily? Do you have space in the garden? Are you rabbits good at their litter training? Are you close to a lot of predators?

I always thought I'd always have them indoors but I'm swaying now to having one pair indoors and one pair outdoors as one of my pairs is very messy and will leave loads of poos and occasionally puddles everywhere, this also gives both pairs more space. If i had been successful in bonding them together they would've all been inside though.

I didn't vote as I really think it depends on the bunnies and whether you can bunny proof the room including the carpet (a lot of buns like to dig carpet as I have found out!)

We have both inside and outside buns. Our inside trio live inside because they seem to like it and don't mind human interaction.

However, we have bunnies outside that I know would HATE to live inside with people coming and going, noises etc.

ETA: If we had less bunnies (i.e. one pair or group), I would have them indoors with supervised free range in the garden when I am home.

Our indoor trio have their own room and use of the whole house when we are home.

Thanks for all your opinions:D

I think it depends on your situation and the bunnies.

Can you bunproof a couple of rooms easily? Do you have space in the garden? Are you rabbits good at their litter training? Are you close to a lot of predators?

I always thought I'd always have them indoors but I'm swaying now to having one pair indoors and one pair outdoors as one of my pairs is very messy and will leave loads of poos and occasionally puddles everywhere, this also gives both pairs more space. If i had been successful in bonding them together they would've all been inside though.

They have only just started being litter trained and are on the way.
I would have space in the garden because we are looking for a large garden.
The other questions i'm not sure of yet because this will be when we have moved and don't know to where that will be yet.

I suppose it does deppend on the bunnies, so I might try them inside for a bit when we move and see if they like it and how they behave and then see what happens from there:?

I'll have to think about this alot over the coming year.

Last edited:
Yes that's the other thing. The pair I'm thinking about putting outside have quite thick coats and aren't particularly fussed about human contact. So I'm thinking they might actually prefer it outside.

Its not helpful, but your moving houses???!!!

Well....you know me, inside, coz you would be with them allllllllll the time....but yes, there are loads of options to think about...:D

I haven't voted as I think it depends very much on the rabbits and only you can judge what would be better for them :wave:

Also If they could have more (24/7) space outdoors in an aviary maybe that would be better if the bedroom you had was quite small. Of course its impossible to know these things untill you buy the house! Hmm there are lots of pros and cons for each.. :)

I haven't voted as I think it depends very much on the rabbits and only you can judge what would be better for them :wave:

Also If they could have more (24/7) space outdoors in an aviary maybe that would be better if the bedroom you had was quite small. Of course its impossible to know these things untill you buy the house! Hmm there are lots of pros and cons for each.. :)

Yes I suppose I will have to wait to see the house then see what the bunnies prefer:D:wave:

I didn't vote as I really think it depends on the bunnies and whether you can bunny proof the room including the carpet (a lot of buns like to dig carpet as I have found out!)

We also found the carpet in my room gave ALL our bunnies sore hocks. The other carpet was ok. If they wee on it though it's a real pain to get out and the smell tends to linger. :?

looks like I'm with the minority for outside buns - personal perference and taking into account my own bunnies (they hate it inside)
Different bunnies will have different preferences though, and it all depends on where they will be safest, happiest, easiest to care for etc etc etc in terms of yuor own set-up.
Good luck with whatever you decide :wave:

Back