• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun poorly after castration U/D MY BUNNY JUST DIED ON ME

mistipop

Warren Scout
Hi, I'd appreciate any advice asap please and i'll try to keep this brief.
I have 3 8 month old male buns who were all neutered last wed. They all came home fine and were all eating/drinking pooing/weeing.
A day or two later I noticed one of them, Theo, didn't seem his usual self, I brought him in the house and for a couple of hours he hardly ate and seemed to strain to go to the toilet, I took him back to the vets and he was given an injection of something (sorry, not sure what) but was told this should 'get him going' He was quite lively again over the weekend but last night took a turn for the worse again, very sleepy and only having small nibbles of treats, no interested in hay/pellets. This morning he was just the same so went back to the vets and this time was given 3 injections and I was told to go back for the next 2 days for the same. Tonight he hasn't improved at all and is just laying on me very very quiet and no interest in food/drink. Help :(

Last edited:
hi i hope the little guy is ok. i dont have any advice to offer, but you should find out what the injections are for. he may need other treatment. unfortunately not all vets are right, but i hope this one is.

if he is pooing and weeing thats a good sign. very important - he needs pain relief.

best of luck

Is he pooing and weeing?
Did ur vet rule out a blockage, if so he may need syringing some recovery food or veggie baby food as hes not eating himself. Water aswell, especially if he hasnt had any fluids.
Id call the vet and find out if hes been given painkillers as these are imperative.
If you have a hot water bottle you might want to hold it near him or even better underneath him ( obv not too hot!) as lowering temperature can be a problem with a bun in stasis.
Sending loads of vibes for him, hope he starts eating soon xxxxxx

vet rang me back, said they cant do anything more til the morning when they'll keep him in for a few days but it's too late he's just died on me. What did i do wrong i'm heartbroken

why did the vet say he couldn't do anything tonight? he still on my knee, i dont know what to do with him.:( what was wrong with him, why has he died?

why did the vet say he couldn't do anything tonight? he still on my knee, i dont know what to do with him.:( what was wrong with him, why has he died?

Your vet may feel that they had done all they could - or their knowledge allowed. A more rabbit-savy vet may have admitted your rabbit instead and given him round the clock care. However, this may not have changed the outcome for your poor bunny.

I'm afraid without a post mortem it is impossible to tell you what happened to him. I am so sorry. Have you got a cardboard box you could pop him in wrapped in a towel until you have had time to process what has just happened? Take care and have a hot cup of tea with some sugar in it for the shock. xx

It sounds like a blockage of some sort,Mistipop.
Even if you had of fed him something, it may have made it worse.
Im cross with your vet.They should have agreed to see him.Its out of order.
Im really very sorry.Is anyone with you?????

I don't have anyone with me. I'm a single mum, children back at school tmrw, dont even know when to tell them. I feel angry at myself, i should have asked them to keep him in this morning.

Are you ok? Have you managed to find a box to pop him in? Or perhaps you could use his carry cage. See if you can find a towel to wrap him in so you don't have to keep looking at him, and then pop him in another room.

Now go and make yourself a hot sweet drink and sit down and see if you can ring a friend or talk to someone from your family if you are home alone. xx

Back