• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Badly behaved bun

kayleewoo

Mama Doe
Ok, so here's the deal. I've had Poppet for about 4 years. She was originally a companion for Smudge, and then after Smudge's departure she was a great companion to Barney. She has always been really friendly towards other bunnies and I've had no problems with her in the past. I recently got her a new friend, Jasmine as she was looking rather lonely. I took it slowly, put their cages together, and introduced them in a neutral space.

Poppet has been really nasty towards the new arrival, and will regularly chase and nip her. Poppet has laid down in front of Jasmine before and licked her face. Now, when she looks like she is going to lick Jasmine, she bites her face instead. I dont have the space to put any kind of pen in and seperate it off.
Help!

Firstly, are they both spayed? If not, get them both done before re-introducing them (I'm assuming they're seperated if they were fighting). Un-spayed female bunnies can be very hormonal.

I've found with many of my female bunnies that they will not tollerate other female bunnies. A male/female pair is nearly always the easiest combination to bond. Although two girls shouldn't be impossible.

Did you introduce them in a neutral area too? (ie - a room that neither rabbit has ever been in so there are no bunny smells).

Poppet has been speyed. Jasmine is only 8 weeks old so she isn't old enough yet. They were introduced in a neutral area (the bathroom) and were fine. I moved them to the hallway and thats when Poppet started chasing Jas.

Sometimes I wonder if a place in your home is neutral at all. I've had issues bonding male rabbits to my previous female in the past. I even tried neutral rooms, but I always thought whether a rabbit, that you've had for a while, considers something that smells of 'you' to be part of their domain/ territory, hence nowhere that smells of you is totally neutral.

I've never got the chance to try this but I heard once that if you take them for a drive they seek comfort in eachother. :?

Let us know how you get on as I'm always interested to here any tips, tricks and solutions.

I had also heard of this, however poppet does usually come places with me and she sits in the car. Would this make a difference? I heard that putting them in a box and taking them for a drive is the answer, as they can't grip and lunge at each other. Obviously Poppet being 4 years old is a lot bigger than an 8 week old bunny, and has also gotten a bit podgy as of late. I am worried that when taking a sharp corner Poppet would squash jasmine.

I know this doesn't help but this is exactly why I didn't try it myself.

I think you would need to be in the back with the box on the other side of the rear seat, whilst someone else is driving. I didn't feel I had anyone who took the idea seriously enough to help me out, but if you have someone I would give it a go, I've always been curious to know whether it works or not. If you do try it let me know how it all goes? :D

Did Poppy live in the hallway before Jas came along? Have you neutralised that area too? My two foster buns were bonded before I bought them home but the fighting started up again when they came back into the environment where one of them had already claimed as his territory. I have carpet in the house and someone told me to use baking soda sprinkled on the carpet and then vacuumed up as it neutralises the smells. It worked a treat and I had no more problems!

No, they both live in the kitchen. Their cages are next to each other, and both seem relaxed/not bothered that the other is there.

Back