• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your indoor buns when you go away?

esupi

Warren Veteran
...we put ours in boarding the first time, as we found a lovely place where we could take their whole pen and everything for them. But that isn't open anymore, and I can't find anywhere that doesn't use cages - I don't like the idea of putting a pair of buns (even my little Nethies) in a cage when they're not used to it.

Had a friend house/bunny-sit too a couple of times, but that option won't always be there, so wondered if anyone knows any other options? Probably not going away until next year now, but I don't want to be stuck last-minute!

thanks.

esupi
:)

Hi :wave:
Where i live theres no boarding places ATALL so personally i ask around trusted friends to look after them. It os rare to find someone i completely trust though (im a control freak when it comes to my buns :lol:) so dont go away much these days :roll:

Is there a rescue near you that might beable to help? I dont know whether they do that or not its just a thought xxx

I just never go away :lol:

Louie would go mad if he was caged in any way so no option for us.

We have someone come in to take care of them. :thumb: That way I don't have to uproot them or worry about the temperature. It works best for us.

i dont go away usually, the last time my mom offered to have them for a week so i could go visit my bloke :love::love:

We have a pet savvy neighbour coming to look after Biscuit and Ginger in December :)

I'm still petrified though and am thinking about cancelling... :roll::oops:

We are going away for the weekend in October and spent all last night working out a plan for the buns!

Mr B is going to my Mums as he is indoors.

Strawbs and Snow are going to stay here in their wendy houses, We will feed them Friday morning, my neighbours teenager will do Friday night, and Sat night and my Mum will come and do Sat and Sun morning. We will be back Sun afternoon.

I live about half an hours drive from my Mum so it isnt fair to expect her to come twice a day and I dont want to leave them in the sole care of next door. They will only really have Saturday when we dont see them so I am sure they will be ok.

ETA- when we had our summer holiday Strawbs and Snow went to boarding with Lynne at holiday hutch.

...we put ours in boarding the first time, as we found a lovely place where we could take their whole pen and everything for them. But that isn't open anymore, and I can't find anywhere that doesn't use cages - I don't like the idea of putting a pair of buns (even my little Nethies) in a cage when they're not used to it.

Had a friend house/bunny-sit too a couple of times, but that option won't always be there, so wondered if anyone knows any other options? Probably not going away until next year now, but I don't want to be stuck last-minute!

thanks.

esupi
:)

Where abouts do you live?

I found a place near me that apparently does boarding and also home visits, so you don't have to uproot the buns. I haven't used them yet though! Maybe other places offer the same?

19 buns biscuitblossom! ha - I can see how going away could be a problem!

Snowberry - I live in Leeds.

We get someone to come in for long weekends, but they just get a 1/2 hour run around while she's there - i don't think I would want to leave them in that situation for say a week when they are used to 5 hours free range every day.

We have a neighbour with a really grown-up teenage son we've thought of asking, but we don't know them all that well and wouldnt' want them to feel obliged - plus - it's a lot to ask someone to take on and of course I'd be worried leaving them with someone who doesn't know anything about rabbits!

Those of you with family nearby are really very lucky...hmm wonder if I can convince my sister to move closer! lol.

esupi.

It's a friend that does ours. We have them round for dinner a few weeks before we go and show them what to do and what to watch out for.

We normally ask friends or relatives but when we were all at a family wedding recently, We asked a boarding facility nearby to pet-sit. We did it so the buns had use of the utility to run around in with access to indoor hutch. It was only one day and a reasonable price,. We chose a boarding company to pet-sit as they were capable and willing to give medications. In the end the bun had finished medications just before the visit but it was reassuring to know it could be done.
Some vet nurses will pet sit-you would need to enquire.
If the pet-sitter comes to feed them and let them out of the indoor cage in the morning then put them in when they come to feed them at night that may suit you? unless you left them free range in a restricted safe area as we did?
sue:wave:

Those of you with family nearby are really very lucky...hmm wonder if I can convince my sister to move closer! lol.

esupi.

my sister has come to stay for a week to mind the buns before now, as she lives too far away to pop in each day!!

We normally ask friends or relatives but when we were all at a family wedding recently, We asked a boarding facility nearby to pet-sit. We did it so the buns had use of the utility to run around in with access to indoor hutch. It was only one day and a reasonable price,. We chose a boarding company to pet-sit as they were capable and willing to give medications. In the end the bun had finished medications just before the visit but it was reassuring to know it could be done.
Some vet nurses will pet sit-you would need to enquire.
If the pet-sitter comes to feed them and let them out of the indoor cage in the morning then put them in when they come to feed them at night that may suit you? unless you left them free range in a restricted safe area as we did?
sue:wave:

ooh - I can only imagine the damage they would cause! sorry - I didn't explain. They only free-range supervised! They actually did escape this last weekend when the sitter was visiting - result = ruined rug and destroyed laptop cable! lol.

ooh - I can only imagine the damage they would cause! sorry - I didn't explain. They only free-range supervised! They actually did escape this last weekend when the sitter was visiting - result = ruined rug and destroyed laptop cable! lol.

What about a pen from panels? Just while you are away.

That's what we did when we weren't confident leaving them free-ranging for a week. Now we're happy that they'll be fine so they free-range 24-7.

Despite stopping outdoors we still do indoor boarding, we have an outhouse which is set out exactly to your choice, complete hay, or carpet, lino etc, with different levels and toys, the room is about 8 foot x 5 foot. Its very popular with people who dont like to cage their bunnies :)

my three are house rabbits (or should i say were house rabbits til today!).. Up until now they have either gone to my parents house in a spare bedroom, or gone to Cheryl's. At Cheryl's they usually go in a large hutch or aviary inside a shed so they dont get cold and they are as happy as could be. Although the are indoors at my mum's i like the fact that i know Cheryl would notice if one was poorly which my mum may not, so its weighing up which is more important for an odd week ;)

Back