• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat attack

Marreline

Warren Scout
Hi there,

Do cats attack rabbits? We have a very interested young cat living opposite who, despite our best attempts at cat-proofing, likes to sit and eye-ball my rabbits when they are free-ranging in the garden. She likes to sit on top of the hutch and stare down at them but as she wears a bell I usually hear her and chase her away before she can get too comfortable. Yesterday I found her on the ground almost nose to nose with Stew - both looked very curious, neither afraid of the other. Again, I chased her away. But in the afternoon she was suddenly there again and I'm pretty sure she actually leapt down at Dumpling and was almost on her - it happened so quickly...I leapt up (was sat less than 2 metres away)...the cat scarpered, leaving Dumpling looking very confused.

I have always been wary of the cat and never leave them unattended when free-ranging but she's now doing it in front of my very eyes. Do you think she really wants to attack and kill? Do cats really attack rabbits? Mine are mini-lops but they're almost the same size as the cat.

Very worried :(

Cats certainly can attack and kill rabbits so I'd invest in a heavy duy water pistol if I were you and don't leave the bunnies unattended.:( Give the cat a soaking every time you see it on your property and hopefully it'll learn not to return.

:censored: I hate cats.

I need to buy some bells for blokie's additions & I'm going to introduce them to the buns supervised too:?

yes cats can quite easily kill rabbits.
Whenever you let them out to run around in an unsecure area just watch for the cat and if you see it scare it away.

I used to be with a guy who lived on a farm and his cats brought in rabbits all the time, they are definately capable.

We had a cat that became quite interested in Roly and Honey and after one good soaking with the garden hose we've never seen it back. Thankfully its owner has since moved away taking the mangey brute with her.

Back