• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PTS costs

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I hope I never have to go through having any of my pets PTS and I hope this doesnt upset or offend anybody ..... I really wouldn't want to do that .... but we were discussing the subject in the office and none of us had any idea of how much it cost if the worst was to happen.

I know it will vary from vet to vet and animal to animal .... but does anyone know roughly the costs for say a cat, a dog and a rabbit (or other small furry??)!

Also, my colleague asked me to ask, if your pet unfortunately dies during an operation, do they still charge you for that operation??

At our vets dog pts is £79 and then communal cremation is £27 or individual from £170 depending on the weight of the animal.

Rabbits pts £34.95, communal cremation £16, individual cremation from £110

yes you still pay for op,

Its 35 pounds to PTS a cat at my vets
28 for a rabbit
dogs i think depend on the size

then you have have the extra possiable costs such as individual cremation, communial and whether you wish the ashesreturned in a particular box etc

i think Pearls was about 50 quid.. may of been 60 that was for her to be cremated without the ashes being returned.

I can never remember the exact costs, but around £25 for PTS in the vet surgery, and around £35 for PTS at home.

I'm not sure whether you'd have to pay for an operation if the animal died, but I guess it would depend whether the death was the fault of the vet operating

I have always just paid the cost of the appointment for my rabbits, which is just under £20 for me (I get quite anice discount from my vets). If it was after or during an operation then I would expect to pay for whatever happened while they were alive too, although that's not happened at this practice.... yet.

Vets are generally very sensitive to the owners needs and wants. I found it very helpful for my bunnies who are/were long term ill to think about what I wanted to happen prior to that final day so that when it came I knew exactly what I wanted and wouldn't regret anything after.

im not sure how much my vets charge for PTS but i did have a Guinea pig when i was 16 who died having a dental I popped in to pay and they said it was ok and didnt charge me a penny but i suppose all vets will be different and will probs depend on teh op aswell

I had my big lurcher boy pts in May :cry::cry::cry::cry: and it cost me £189 total including individual cremation and ashes in a casket.
He weighed about 32kg.

I had to get a kitten pts and it was about £10 maybe. She was only 5 weeks though :( but was severely brain damaged.

Peanut was £54, alot more than i thought. actually my mum paid for it because i was too upset to even leave the consultation room :oops: His cremation was £60.

Bonnie my cavalier cost £130, but that was a home visit. her cremation was another £90 on top.

I had to have Mouse (a dwarf hamster) pts in June. He cost £11 and they gave me a choice of whether I wanted to take him home etc. I was relieved because what worried me the most was that I would not be able to bring him home to bury:(.

I have to say the vets were so good, I was so upset and they were really kind to both of us.

I had to have Mouse (a dwarf hamster) pts in June. He cost £11 and they gave me a choice of whether I wanted to take him home etc. I was relieved because what worried me the most was that I would not be able to bring him home to bury:(.

I have to say the vets were so good, I was so upset and they were really kind to both of us.

that was my biggest fear with peanut, because we never got to bring our dog home when he was pts when i was 14, my biggest fear was that they wouldnt let me take Peanut home, and i remember being very upset and being like "youre not keeping him, im taking him home" and they were like "of course thats fine" they must have though i was such a wolly.

I cant comment on the cost of a rabbit pts as Ive fortunately not had to suffer that yet! but as an aside to this I picked up some very useful info on here!! For PTS several people have said they request some sort of sedative in the ear before the actual injection as it is much less stressful/painful for bunny and owner. If I remember rightly it is a general anasthetic combination of dormitor and ketamine which should help them drift gently to sleep then an abdominal drug pentobarbituate to stop the heart which should be very quick 30seconds. I know this is awful but when the time comes I want the least stressful and painfree ending possible so I have these notes as I will not be able to think straight! If possible I would also have the vet come to my house, Im sure this and the extra drugs would add considerably to the cost but no idea how much and hope I dont have to find out for years!

I cant comment on the cost of a rabbit pts as Ive fortunately not had to suffer that yet! but as an aside to this I picked up some very useful info on here!! For PTS several people have said they request some sort of sedative in the ear before the actual injection as it is much less stressful/painful for bunny and owner. If I remember rightly it is a general anasthetic combination of dormitor and ketamine which should help them drift gently to sleep then an abdominal drug pentobarbituate to stop the heart which should be very quick 30seconds. I know this is awful but when the time comes I want the least stressful and painfree ending possible so I have these notes as I will not be able to think straight! If possible I would also have the vet come to my house, Im sure this and the extra drugs would add considerably to the cost but no idea how much and hope I dont have to find out for years!

I agree. without being too graphic, peanut didnt take long to go, however he did jump when the needle went in and that upset me. But then if he had something else first im sure that would have made him jump too :? so i dont know really.

I think it depends what is "wrong" with the bunny. peanut was acting like a normal bunny really, where as i expect if he was "sick" as opposed to having an abcess he wouldnt have noticed the initial needle. if that makes any sense.

I agree. without being too graphic, peanut didnt take long to go, however he did jump when the needle went in and that upset me. But then if he had something else first im sure that would have made him jump too :? so i dont know really.

I think it depends what is "wrong" with the bunny. peanut was acting like a normal bunny really, where as i expect if he was "sick" as opposed to having an abcess he wouldnt have noticed the initial needle. if that makes any sense.

Yes thats true, I suppose it does make a difference as to what is wrong with the bunny! I wonder if they can swab the area for the injection with a surface anasthetic to numb it a little bit first?!

my vet just put the lethal injection into the ear, pearl was so ready to go i think she died before the fluid started to go in.. it was if possible a beautiful and perfect death.

before the time came (months before) i asked how she would be pts, my vet said *if* the veins have collapsed then they would of put her to sleep as if she was having an op before putting the injection into the stomach. so either way it would of been dignified and pain free. not a nice thought but finding out the procedure beforehand really saves stress and fear :D

Back