• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best possition for hutch :-)

jubob

Mama Doe
Just painting and trying to finish new hutch :roll: and not sure where to put it one side of the garden gets morning sunshine and the other side gets evening sunshine. In peoples experience what do you think is better/more beneficial to Rabbits.:wave:

I was told south-facing was best - not sure how that would translate to answer your question. :wave: I originally had the hutch facing west (to give me the best view of bunny from the house!) but that was no good because even light rain soon made the hutch sodden. Now that it's facing south I don't have to put the cover on unless it's really chucking down and blowing a gale. My hutch gets morning sunshine, but I put a light cloth over it to provide shade.

Just painting and trying to finish new hutch :roll: and not sure where to put it one side of the garden gets morning sunshine and the other side gets evening sunshine. In peoples experience what do you think is better/more beneficial to Rabbits.:wave:

Ditto! My hutch at the moment gets the afternoon sun - which is fine at the moment - but in the height of summer i was running about with frozen waterbottles for the buns....i also find as we are on a slight hill - the wind & rain tends to blow that way...BUT it was near a shady tree & their run is on the grass so thats why I put it there for when we went on holiday - they were house buns before.
So it currently faces west.

BUT im now going to move them - so now they will get the sun in the morning - so it will be facing East (north east).
It will be against the side fence of our house - purely to enable the buns to have acces to ocm einside if they want to - esp. over the winter & of the evenings.
I dont think either is great - but if they face South - they will be facing away from the house & will see no one & there isnt a space large enought for the hutch to do that.

susie bun
Mama Doe

I was told south-facing was best - not sure how that would translate to answer your question. I originally had the hutch facing west (to give me the best view of bunny from the house!) but that was no good because even light rain soon made the hutch sodden. Now that it's facing south I don't have to put the cover on unless it's really chucking down and blowing a gale. My hutch gets morning sunshine, but I put a light cloth over it to provide shade.
susie bun is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Ive often wondered the same....morning sun or afternoon sun....difficult to know - even if you give the buns access to shady areas etc...mine still hang out in the same ol place's:roll:

Thank you for the replies, I can't have south facing as the back wall is about 60 feet from the back of the house :roll::lol: so it would either be west or east facing.:wave:

Back