• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting Rexes

marmitesmum

Warren Scout
Hi all, this is my first post. I am the owner of a male cinnamon rex standard 'Jasper'. In the past 8 years I have had the fortune of owning otter (Marmite), orange (Monti) and chinchilla (Milo) rexes.

I was just wondering, I know some people have posted previously about rexes and moulting but from my experience it seems as though the breeds which seem to show the moulting the most are the brown breeds (in my case cinnamon and orange). The chinchilla and otter only seemed to have that odd bit of fur occassionally sticking out...you guys know, that little but you just can't resist to pull out!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed??? We used to call my orange rex 'Monti map', because of the contour lines he used to have between his new and old fur, but my cinnamon rex is moulting in an amazing way, he's two now and I've never seen anything like it! Once I figure out how to add a piccie, simple I'm sure it is, I'll post one up.

Hi :wave: I have 2 black rexes and their moulting is quite something!
Kane looked like a patchwork quilt - to the point where I had him to the vets because I thought he might have a skin condition. In fact the vet was also worried for a while. He didn't have anything sinister - it just took about 8 weeks for it all to come out but he's back to lovely and plush now. Now Sparkle is having her turn - hers started at her head and is working backwards with lots of tiny tufts - more like a normal moult but yes, there is alot of fur!!!!! :lol:

There's me thinking it was just the brown ones. It's a coincidence though, but I'm wondering if it may have to do with their fur being differing colours, brown at the ends then another colour then the whitish near the skin.

We even caught a magpie pecking one of the bunnies for fur once, the birds around our area must live a life of luxury with rex fur to line their nests! :lol:

Back