• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flippy has now gone limp for the 6th time

barbara forster

Warren Scout
flippy keeps having episodes of going limp. It starts gradually and over about 8hrs he completely loses the use of his muscles. He is really bad for about 36hrs when i need to feed and water him and keep him upright and then he picks up again. after about 3 days he is back to normal. We are under a referral vet called Molly Varga in cheshire and she is in touch with Richard saunders at Bristol Uni. They are looking at calcium levels but also it could be EC. He has had two coursed of wormer and is now on his 3rd and has been put on fortekor in case his kidneys arent working properly. however he is still having the floppy episodes.
anyone any ideas please ?

E>C came to mind before I finished reading your post.
Other than that,I have no idea but didnt want to read and run.I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of it and bun recovers on a permanent basis.xxx

As well as e.c and pasteurella, other possible causes include toxoplasmosis, low potassium levels and myasthenia gravis- hopefully your vet will be able to provide a solution xx

How long have the worming courses been?

I lost my first EC bunny because the vet told me he'd only need Panacur for nine days, so he'd improve and then get worse again when he came off the medicine. We gave him four or five 'courses' which weren't long enough and in the end the vet PTS because he wasn't getting better.

Luckily I'd found RU before I had my second EC bunny and learnt that they need Pancuring for at least 28 days (Jess actually had a six week course because she was still wobbling on day 28 ).

It's also important to bleach everything that your EC bunny has come into contact with as EC is spread through urine spores, these spores can live in the environment for quite some time and if they're not killed off, they can keep re-infecting the rabbit (My second rabbit got EC after I moved her into the first rabbit's shed after he'd died, the vet failed to tell me about the spores and the need to get rid of them... :roll:).

How long have the worming courses been?

I lost my first EC bunny because the vet told me he'd only need Panacur for nine days, so he'd improve and then get worse again when he came off the medicine. We gave him four or five 'courses' which weren't long enough and in the end the vet PTS because he wasn't getting better.

Luckily I'd found RU before I had my second EC bunny and learnt that they need Pancuring for at least 28 days (Jess actually had a six week course because she was still wobbling on day 28 ).

It's also important to bleach everything that your EC bunny has come into contact with as EC is spread through urine spores, these spores can live in the environment for quite some time and if they're not killed off, they can keep re-infecting the rabbit (My second rabbit got EC after I moved her into the first rabbit's shed after he'd died, the vet failed to tell me about the spores and the need to get rid of them... :roll:).

ETA - If there's a chance it is EC, I'd recommend Panacuring any other rabbits that may have come into contact with the sick one for 28 days too, even if they're showing no signs of being ill. :wave:

Oops, meant to hit edit instead of quote. :oops:

sorry forgot to say that flippy has has blood tests. one set as he is going into one of his episodes and another set as he was coming out of it. it does look like his calcium is high (also he had an op in feb to clean out his bladder of sludge), his potassium and electrolites appear normal. He has also had xrays which didnt show anything up. thanks Jacks jane that is a really useful site you sent me the link to. the vets have mentioned the myasthenia gravis but the way he goes floppy over a few hrs and then picks up again doesnt tally with this. apparantly there is a blood test that can be done so that will be done sometime this week.
When it all started Flippy had 42 days of laprizole. he is now on a 28day course of panacur.

thanx ,
i remember seeing a post from a vet who was studying for her zoomed on here. can anyone remember who it was please thanks

HI, sorry to hear Flippy isn't too good again. I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this so Flippy will be OK.

Back