• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering question

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just realised I have no idea how long after having a litter you can get the mum neutered :oops: Obviously the babies need to be independent, but then when is the best time to get Mum done?

we wait until babies have been split from her for at least 2 weeks ..

or if a baby stays with her then when baby gets to around 10 or 11 weeks old :wave:

this does depend on her condition though ...sometimes we wait longer :)

we wait until babies have been split from her for 2 weeks ..

or if a baby stays with her then when baby gets to around 10 or 11 weeks old :wave:

I guessed around 12 weeks so not too far out, thanks Angie :wave:

Depending on litter numbers I am hoping to keep at least one baby with Mum :)

I'm getting a niggling worry about Mum :(

Is there anyway neuter can be done earlier for medical reasons, even if the babies are still with her?

What age are babies when Mum stops producing milk?

Mom stops feeding them when they're about 6-8 weeks old from what I've read. I'd personally wait until 10-12 weeks from the day she gave birth.

What's happened like? If it was an emergency spay I'm sure they'll do it.

Nothing really, she just seems sleepy and possibly a bit uncomfortable today. I can also feel a pea sized lump in her abdomen which wasn't there last week. she has seen the vets several times already as she has breathing problems, dental problems and her abdomen is hard, but we can't do anything until the babies are older, especially as one is small and not eating well :?

Nothing really, she just seems sleepy and possibly a bit uncomfortable today. I can also feel a pea sized lump in her abdomen which wasn't there last week. she has seen the vets several times already as she has breathing problems, dental problems and her abdomen is hard, but we can't do anything until the babies are older, especially as one is small and not eating well :?

Are you using goats milk with them, even if it's just putting a bowl down the babies will nom on that, or syringe it to them. Always makes them nice and chunky and it helps mom too. So does Broccoli.

I'd get her back in for the vet to feel the lump.

Back