• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can i ask your advise please?

loulabell

Warren Scout
i need to take my rabbit poppy to the vet tomorrow as she has a watery eye.
the thing is she has a litter that are 7 weeks old and i want to keep them altogether as long as possible, so if i take her to vet will the babies need to come as well? there are 3 babies in total.
the thing that worries me if i take them all is last time i took her she went mad! she jumped off the examination table onto my sholder! and the vet could'nt examin her. i dont want the babies to get hurt if poppy panics. the babies were only 2 weeks old the last time we went so i did'nt take them as thay were still in the nest. X

Is there anyway your vet could do a home visit? Or maybe ask a nurse to call round? I'm not sure what would be best to be honest but I hope someone more knowledgeable will come along soon :)

Most vets will do a home visit, i'd highly recommend this if you can organise it due to the babies age. I'm sure if you talk to the vet they will be able to arrange something. :)

I would take them all together if you have a suitable carrier. If Poppy gets a bit anxious when being handled and examined this is normal and she won't actually be in the cage at this point. You will probably find that as soon as you place her back in her carry cage she will calm down again. If she is inclined to kick when being put back then I would ask the vet and vet nurses to lift the little ones out first, put Poppy in, and then put the babies back in afterwards. We do this with our Poppy and Nino as she always kicks out when putting her back in her carry cage and has caught Nino in the head before.

thank you so much for your reply, im not sure whats normal for poppy really as i've only had her since mid july and i dont think she'd ever seen a vet before she came to me. also the litter was very young at the time i took her and she may have been anxious about being seperated from them. i've never had a rabbit that actually leaps of the table! was a bit scarey it took 2 nurses to hold her and even then she was'nt examind propely. i do have a nice big carrier that thay will all fit in. i had thought of doing what you suggested as it seems the most logical thing to do just needed to hear if from someone else. thank you again. X

Back