• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody else's rabbits cause arguments in the house?...

esupi

Warren Veteran
We just got back from 3 days away, and had a sitter come in to feed the buns and let them out for a run each day (they are house buns).

Well - they escaped while we were away, and chewed three small holes in our lounge rug, and wrecked the laptop cable which was on the floor (not plugged in). I didn't think that was too bad considering they were out totally unsupervised and while all the cables etc are shut off from them, there are plenty of books, cushions, carpet they could have gone at.

OH was livid though - he's thrown the rug out and is fuming about £60 to replace the laptop cable. He always gets this way when they chew stuff.
I think he's immature and ridiculous, as you should accept that's what pets do or not take them on, and besides it's our own fault for not making them more secure. He thinks I don't care enough about how the house looks and was moody for a whole day about it!

He loves them, but thinks they should fit in with his life better, so I end up defending them all the time......I don't get how anyone can stay mad when you see their cute little faces!

esupi.

Oh no we always have this argument in my house. Although I live with my parents and I just bought Archie home one day without asking permission. They weren't too happy ... but I now have three :lol:

When Blanche had her spay done her and Archie moved into the kitchen. I constantly got in trouble for their escape attempts and the fact they chewed the kitchen table leg. I can see their point of view because they didn't want animals in the first place and have been extremely good about the situation. Then again, I can't help it if they manage to get out a pretty secure set up and start gnawing away at 3am in the morning!

Your OH seems to be over reacting slightly if he also agreed to have them in the house? :?

Yep know the feeling when I got my second my oh walked in said OMG Not another! :cry: He doesn't interact with them - doesn't talk about them unless to moan. But at least he is over the top about them at the mo. Good luck got I know how you feel.:)

Yep my OH and I have arguments over chewed wires, she is banned from the study as she chewed his internet wire (one of many that he has may I add) and he went mental over the telephone wire at the time, however she just gives him a cute little look and she's forgiven, he can't be mad at her forever....

My OH was the one who wanted them in the first place! We had the whole discussion where I said 'ok as long as you've thought through how much work/money they'll be etc etc......' (like you would discuss with a child)!

He's a typical man - unable to think anything through properly lol (no offence intended to any obviously much more grown-up and responsible male bunny-owners on here!)

esupi.

Nope when was very much love me love my buns. OH was a bit annoyed when they chewed the table leg but its my table so tough

no ste dont row he knows the pets will win :lol::lol::lol:

he wasnt happy that Pearl targetted his wires and i would get into trouble for letting her get at his wires but never rows or blame on the buns

My OH gets a bit grumpy when she eats or destroys things but forgives Radish in seconds :lol:

Out only rabbit based arguments are about the amount of money I lavish on them :oops:

OH is the one that wants more. Im the one who gets annoyed at Pie!
But I think they were very well behaved cponsidering they only chewed through a minimal amount of things. Pie would've gone mad with all that chewable stuff! :roll::lol:

My OH was the one who wanted them in the first place! We had the whole discussion where I said 'ok as long as you've thought through how much work/money they'll be etc etc......' (like you would discuss with a child)!

He's a typical man - unable to think anything through properly lol (no offence intended to any obviously much more grown-up and responsible male bunny-owners on here!)
esupi.

Agree with this! lol! He's obviously not thought bunny ownership through properly :roll:

Could you perhaps put them in boarding in future? It would be cheaper then having to replace stuff and you know they are cared for all day :)

We've never had rows about the buns, but we have had a few discussions. That will all end now as the buns are now in the garden and very happy out there.

Mind you my buns weren't cable chewers, if they were I'm sure we would've had some rows!!

i got quite emotional when we discovered why the TV was playing up about a month ago... Pearl had been at the wire before she died... Ste just laffed that she had finally got my special wires but they took a while to give me trouble... made me miss her loads...there was no way Holly or Alvin had done it after her death it was deffo little miss wire cutter :love::love:

Only tension here was during the 8 months it took for me to get permission to have a rabbit in the first place. He's outside, but they are completely converted and don't mind the holes he digs in the lawn at all. They actually missed him when they were on holiday recently. :lol::lol::lol:

Not over the rabbits, but the dog. I pay for the dog when I shouldn't (its my brothers dog) and my parents don't like that!

No arguments as such, but OH doesn't have the same passion/understanding for Loxxy as me ;) Take today... I let her out into the garden once I was properly dressed and up this morning, then when I took the kids out later on for a couple of hours, I shut her in her hutch/run as he wouldn't keep an eye on her. So, we were out probably 2 hrs, and when we got back, I let her out into the garden again. OH comes along and says "oh you've let the rabbit out again - I was gonna mow the lawn". He went on to say that she doesn't need to be out all the time, its not necessary. Told him it is necessary that she gets out as much as possible and that when I'm home, she'll be out, basically. Said I like her to be out and that's how it is! The fact that he'd had 2 hours of nobody at home in which he could have mown the lawn is the reason I feel he's just being awkward (plus the fact he can't even call her by her name!). Later on in the afternoon, I took the boys out again and I said to him "you can mow the lawn now, Loxxy's away" but he said he couldn't because the film he was watching had another hour/2 hours to go!!! And that's partly the reason me and the boys go out :lol:

I do have to admit I cause the arguments about Pierre :lol:
Only because I am the one that goes out to work whilst the OH is still living the student life at University and then when I return things have been eaten whilst he is on watch :evil:
I have bunny proofed my room so any cables that Pierre does chew through he has pulled out and done bunny magic to get. However, I came home the other day and returned to a massive space where wallpaper used to be, turns out Pierre had climbed onto the radiator and started chewing, what annoyed me is that OH didn't see yet he was there all morning :lol:

Although when Pierre stayed for a week at my mum and dads who have bought him his own cage for visits :love: he caused havoc and I was on the recieving end of some bad parenting remarks. :roll: It's not my fault theres a space behind the sofa for a bunny bottom to get through, it's also not my fault my dad's hi fi speaker wires run along there and look tasty :lol:

We have no arguments my bunnies chew the wires,Tess chews the carpet,cabinets,doors and Stinky is a bit incontinent.Andy loves fixing things if he wants his tea :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back