• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling all Essex people - what litter do you use and where do you get it?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I'm really wanting to switch from Megazorb. I currently use Megazorb plus Finacard, but would like to cut out Megazorb altogether, because it is so dusty. We've just been working out costs :)shock: ), and we really want to be able to get everything locally (as we already do the Megazorb, but not the Finacard), but Upsons only sell Megazorb and Easibed, as far as I'm aware.

I just wondered what others use and where you are getting it from? Thanks v much :)

We've recently bought a new cross-shredder so I've largely been using shredded paper topped with hay :lol:

I've never found regular paper very absorbent... not for my guzzling/weeing piggies anyway! :lol:

OH worked out rough price per week per cage of litter alone, and it was quite shocking! :shock: I used to use fleece for the piggies, but it didn't really work out...

I'm finding it works fine if it has newspaper underneath it and is changed daily :)

Other than that I've only really used megazorb, so I'm not much help really, sorry :(

I just use hay. Used to use paper, but the absorbency was rubbish.
I just wash the littertrays every time I empty it!

No worries - just wondering if people have found any hidden gems locally really. Did you happen to notice if they sell litters at Little Burstead at all?

Not that I noticed, it is literally a farm shop with fruit and veg etc, with a separate little room at the front filled with bales of hay.

Righto, thanks!

There used to be a farm shop selling all that sort of thing in Wickford, but they closed. Don't seem to be many suppliers of horse bedding etc around here. :?

Did you happen to notice if they sell litters at Little Burstead at all?

No, they don't - I asked once as I was having trouble getting Megazorb from my regular supplier.

They recommended that I try Button Farm, which is about 5/10 mins from Little Burstead; they didn't have megazorb there either but seemed to have lots of other types of horse bedding. I didn't pay much attention so can't say exactly what they have though and I've only ever used Megazorb (and Easibed once when I was desperate) so can't recommend other options either.

Sorry, that was no help at all really. :lol::lol:

See, we excel ourselves with Essex helpfulness today :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I forgot to mention they do hay too - when I went there looking for Megazorb they didn't have any (this was during the hay shortage a little while back) so I can't say what it was like. I wondered if they supply Little Burstead too, as bales of timothy hay aren't so easy to find. I should check there one day really :oops: as I pass it on my way to the other place.

Back