• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit breed rex precises

hey what would you expect to pay for a rex say orange or black rex
im trying to work out if the rexes i have seen in the pet shop are X breed or not

any ideas thank you

i paid £20 yesterday for a blue eyed white from a breeder.

hmm thats the price in the shop i have been too she is an orange rex i think maybe tortoiseshell as i did see what looked like one or two tiger looking stripes
they have black ones too there

i paid £20 yesterday for a blue eyed white from a breeder.

Wow were did you find that!?
There quie rare

£20 is fairly normal for a pet shop bun
Most likely is a cross or atleast not show standard If you are getting from a pet shop
Though they could be from proper Rex breeders but you would have to Ask and even then you would have to trust them
I you are looking for a purebreed show quality rabbit then buy from a well known breeder who does well on the table, and even then I don't think thief prices arengoing to be. That much more.. Unless you buy off them there champ rabbit :lol:

I paid £35 for Albert rexy roo - he was a rescue bun and for that price he came neautered and vaccs and I helped a rescue out too. Much better way of getting a bun in my opinion. :D

There are plenty of rexes in rescue too so you could help them out - maybe even get a pair

look here

in any rabbit you want to check its bum is clean, its coat has a sheen to it (although i dont know what a rexy coat should look like) its nails arent long, its eyes are clean and bright, it doesnt have over grown teeth (only if you can look without getting bitten or hurting the bunny) and that it generally looks good :wave: this is a rescue forum and i bet most people will urge you to rescue a rex rather than buy from a breeder. But if you think this breeder is respectable and has good sized hutches, doesnt over breed and keeps thier bunnies in a good way. and you arent going to get bored really quickly, that is your choice

what should i look for in a pure breed any pics would be great
thank you all for the advice so far

As said if its one you want to show/ breed from (and presuming your in the UK) then you would want one from a breeder who breeds to show and towards the breed standered which you can find on the BRC (british rabbit council) website.

Attila I got 2 black rexes from rescue earlier this year - I gave them £80 although they only asked for £70 - both neutered and myxi vacc'd.
They are probably not quite show standard - a bit of brown in their coats but that might be because they spend alot of time outside and it might just be the sunshine.
I'd agree to ring a few rescues to see if they have any but there is a british rex rabbit society and some specific colour rex societies aswell if you want more info on the breed standard. I bet there are quite alot that end up in rescue because they don't meet the breed standard, as its very specific.
I would think that you'd be able to tell from their coats if the ones in the pet shop are crosses or not - theres nothing that feels quite like a rexy coat :love:

Attila I got 2 black rexes from rescue earlier this year - I gave them £80 although they only asked for £70 - both neutered and myxi vacc'd.
They are probably not quite show standard - a bit of brown in their coats but that might be because they spend alot of time outside and it might just be the sunshine.
I'd agree to ring a few rescues to see if they have any but there is a british rex rabbit society and some specific colour rex societies aswell if you want more info on the breed standard. I bet there are quite alot that end up in rescue because they don't meet the breed standard, as its very specific.
I would think that you'd be able to tell from their coats if the ones in the pet shop are crosses or not - theres nothing that feels quite like a rexy coat :love:

Yes, I can only reiterate the above. I have 2 rexes waiting to come in to our rescue but I simply haven't got room for them at the moment until the end of the week. I also had 2 rexes a couple of months ago and a trio of rexes that were here for well over a year. 25% of all animals sat in rescue centres are pure breeds and in our experience rescues give far, far better advice on rabbit keeping than breeders and those in the game simply to try and make money.:cry:

Check my avatar - Castor Rex. Twice relinquished to a shelter.
Why? Who knows as he is divine :love::love:

Back