• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hawthorn berries

JLG

Mama Doe
:wave:please can someone tell me if hawthorn berries are ok for bunnies? My 2 love the branches and leaves but now most of the trees near me are covered in berries, so I'm just checking before I give them any more?
thankyou :)

I have a different opinion about the wisdom of feeding hawthorn berries (haws) to rabbits.

They are perfectly safe & beneficial for humans & birds, but rabbits have different needs. They do not contain poisonous substances AFAIK.

However, it is a basic principal of feeding bunnies not to give them small hard seeds (eg allow them to eat fallen bird seed) or nuts with shells on, for 2 reasons.
a) Rabbits can crack a molar tooth very easily on hard food, especially if it's unexpected - just like us.
b) Small seeds which could be swallowed whole, can form a blockage in the gut.

The normal rabbit diet is vegetation, which is extremely low in fats; so high cholesterol levels are not a problem in rabbits, & not a major predisposing cause of heart disease unlike humans.

We can all see how hard a haw is for ourselves by isolating the central seed & trying to crush it (with a knife not our teeth, or you might break one of your own teeth!:cry:)

Back