• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New house for Pharrell and Daphne?!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I made a new run for P&D a few days ago which has given them much more space but stupidly, I put plastic sheeting over the roof and now when I take the lid off, all the water runs straight into the top floor of their hutch. :oops:

This is their hutch/run set up -

The hutch is a 5X2 double from P@H and the run is 5X6. I don't think space is currently an issue but it will be over winter, I'll have to take the plastic sheet off the roof so the hutch doesn't flood and I can't imagine they'd want to sit out in the cold much. :roll:

I went into B&Q the other day and they had these playhouses - http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1283108453506&isSearch=false - for half price! They'd been left in the rain so the chipboard roof and floor pieces were warped, although the rest of them was fine. I asked a staff member if he could find out how much it would be to replace those bits and he said about £15 so I could get one of these for £115ish. I know it's only 4X4 but I can attach the run to it again and it won't flood!

So what do we think, get a playhouse or stick with the hutch/run?! :wave:

Gosh, don't know - either would be the envy of Spenser, who has a two story hutch but the poor lad can't do the stairs.:( If I could turn the clock back I would have gone for a playhouse (assuming I would have been allocated an appropriate bit of my parents' garden)...

Well if you can afford it I'd say go for it!! :wave: xx

You made such a good job of the other playhouse and run that I know you could work your magic on this one too...... and am sure the bunnies would love it.

I can't afford it at the moment to be perfectly honest but I have two weeks until payday and there are stacks of extra hour sheets on the desk at work so I can pick up some more hours to go towards it.

I think the hutch/run is plenty big enough for them (and actually gives them more square feet of space than the playhouse) but I can just see the weather causing all sorts of problems for the buns once it starts getting cold as well as wet. And there's the added plus point of being able to sit in it with them and not get drenched! :lol:

Awwhh, heck, you only live once, come pay day, I'm going to go and get one. £115 is still cheaper than most hutches and I should think the P@H hutch's lifespan isn't huge. :)

Keep us posted. I might pick my moment and try for a playhouse for Spenser, then another bunny (or two) in the hutch ... if only, if only ... :wave:

Gosh, don't know - either would be the envy of Spenser, who has a two story hutch but the poor lad can't do the stairs.:( If I could turn the clock back I would have gone for a playhouse (assuming I would have been allocated an appropriate bit of my parents' garden)...

My parents are a bit funny about what I put in the garden, hence why the hutch is tucked round the back of my shed. My Dad made me get a huge great log cabin instead of a basic shiplap shed as well because he moaned about having to look at it all day. :roll:

Have you tried reducing the angle of Spenser's ramp? You could pop the bottom end of it on a wooden platform so it's not quite so steep for him. I used to have an old (and rather fat!) bun that struggled with her ramp so I did this and put carpet on it for extra grip. :):wave:

Go for it:D Lucky bunnies!! Playhouses are great!!:D:wave:

I put one up earlier in the year which Cloud and Barley now live in, I love it :D It's so nice not to get drenched when it's raining and I can fit in loads of toys for the buns, as well as having shelves for a bit of extra storage.

This is it -

28560_450113153573_709523573_6050239_3778633_n.jpg

I'm going to get some bright coloured paint and re-do the outside. I keep seeing pictures of everyone's pretty coloured playhouses and it's making me jealous! :lol: I live near the sea so I'm thinking blue and cream stripes like a beach hut! :D

My parents are a bit funny about what I put in the garden, hence why the hutch is tucked round the back of my shed. My Dad made me get a huge great log cabin instead of a basic shiplap shed as well because he moaned about having to look at it all day. :roll:

Have you tried reducing the angle of Spenser's ramp? You could pop the bottom end of it on a wooden platform so it's not quite so steep for him. I used to have an old (and rather fat!) bun that struggled with her ramp so I did this and put carpet on it for extra grip. :):wave:

I tried reducing the angle, but it meant there wasn't enough space between the trapdoor opening and the stairs for him to get down.:roll: I've taken them out in the meantime for his safety.:oops::oops: I might think about the carpet tip, thanks. To be honest I don't like the stairs - they are very heavy, and made of poor quality wood (unlike the rest of the hutch, which is excellent).

Back