• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perspex

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
Is it difficult to drill holes in perspex without it 'shattering', so it can go on front of hutch and also along the run, hooking over nails. Or is it better to drill and then use screws? I'm hopeless at DIY!

I would drill slowly and carefully and then use screws or make the holes bigger and hook them over nails - it depends if you want to be able to take it on and off again quickly and often. It does shatter fairly easily as it doesn't have the flexibility of wood to squash up the material being displaced by the screw.

Use a variable speed drill and set it on a very low speed. Drill some small holes big enough for the screw thread to pass through and then screw it into the hutch.

Use a variable speed drill and set it on a very low speed. Drill some small holes big enough for the screw thread to pass through and then screw it into the hutch.

Thanks Tim - what I would really like is one of those old fashioned hand drills!

Yep, good idea with the masking tape, that will help stop it from cracking. Also you can buy hand drills from B&Q etc. I have one and it's perfect for this job.

Yep, good idea with the masking tape, that will help stop it from cracking. Also you can buy hand drills from B&Q etc. I have one and it's perfect for this job.

Strangely enough tried to get one in B & Q couple of wks ago but hadn't got any. I thought that meant they didn't stock them, but sounds as if they had just run out, so will try again.

Back