• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New pet :)

rach-louise

Young Bun
Well after being on here and the Guinea Pig forum for some weeks looking into the possibility of either Rabbits of Guinea Pigs we have got a Hamster!

We chose a Hamster for a few reasons-the fact that they are smaller and need less room, they can be kept in the house( i know Rabbits and Guinea Pigs can too but we don't have the room for such large cages). They have a shorter life span(which i know sounds mean but the kids are 5 so i think a 2yr life span is long enough for their first pet).

He is called Reuben and is 5 months old and we got him from the RSPCA. He is actually very tame too and is fine being handled.
Think it will work out nicely as he will sleep all day while they are at school and they can get him out for half hour before they go the bed so he can have a play and a go in his ball .

Sorry if this is in the wrong section?
But thanks for all your help :)

Hi, I dont know much about hamsters, but pleased to hear that you have got a rescue hamster, that is so nice.

Good luck, I know quite a few people on here have hamsters so shout if you need any advice!

Wheres the pics? :D:lol::lol:

I have followed your threads whilst you have been making your pet decision and well done you for thinking it through so thoroughly.

Hamsters are lovely pets, we have 3. I'm sure the children will find his antics great to watch.

Can't wait to see the pics :)

Thanks

For the nice posts.
Yes i did a lot of research before getting a pet. I wanted to know everything before we got one as i didn't want to make a mistake! Although i would love Rabbits or Guinea Pigs i don't think i can commit to that amount of time at the moment.
I had Hamsters as a child and they were great.
I will try and take some pics later-he is asleep at the moment;)
He is very lovely actually- i was a bit worried that if he nipped them that they would want to hold him any more, but he has been on his best behaviour!:D

Back