• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with more than 2 buns/ groups of bunnies advice needed

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I have a few questions...

Ok thinking positively in just over a week i will have a group again..

What do you use as a litter tray for 4 - at the moment the 2 pairs have the storage box trays but only 2 buns can fit in, these are useful as they are easy to clean - so do I just get 2? or do I need to find something bigger so all 4 can get in?

What do you feed them in - I have always fed either directly into their tray or into a bowl, but if they cant all fit in the tray I dont want any fights - they chase etc as it is just in their pairs so with 4 it will be bedlam.

Also cheryl is having them for a week, do I bring them back to a very basic shed with just hay and them or do i get it all ready - litter trays, toys etc etc for when they get back - the reason I ask was last time thay came back to a empty pen but as soon as I introduced stuff they fought so I thought this time if I have everything ready as it should be I wont be introducing anything new in the early stages to unsettle them?

Im going to be without internet after tomorrow - sooo helllp
Thank you

Any other advice?

Is it Cheryl formerly of SGP rescue? If so, she's a very experienced bonder so I would just do whatever she tells you to :lol:

What do you use as a litter tray for 4 - at the moment the 2 pairs have the storage box trays but only 2 buns can fit in, these are useful as they are easy to clean - so do I just get 2? or do I need to find something bigger so all 4 can get in?My group have 2 med sized litter trays in their shed - two buns can fit in each but they also have a shelf which they all fit on. They also have a small dog basket in their run

What do you feed them in - I have always fed either directly into their tray or into a bowl, but if they cant all fit in the tray I dont want any fights - they chase etc as it is just in their pairs so with 4 it will be bedlam. I have a rectaungular bowl about 6" by 3" which all four get around with no problems

Also cheryl is having them for a week, do I bring them back to a very basic shed with just hay and them or do i get it all ready - litter trays, toys etc etc for when they get back - the reason I ask was last time thay came back to a empty pen but as soon as I introduced stuff they fought so I thought this time if I have everything ready as it should be I wont be introducing anything new in the early stages to unsettle them? Are they going to Cheryls to be bonded? If so I would bring them back to a basic and very neutralised shed. My lot had scuffles each time they were bonded elsewhere and then came back to the shed but they soon settled down. Do they have a run attached to the shed/ If so I would maybe limit them to just the shed for the first few days and see how they go. Only let them have more space when things are going well

Thank you

Any other advice?
If you can I would travel them all back in the same carrier - will be heavy to lift! But will help with the bond - Good luck

Yes santa it is Cheryl from spgrescue - i know shes really experienced thats why im confident :lol:

Webkath: thank you thats really helpful - I am bringing them back in a indoor cage all together so they should be ok, might leave them in that for an hour or so when we get back in the shed - it will be a totally new shed so will be neutral then let them out - they wont have a run straight away anyway - its a big shed and will take me more than a week to build it :lol:

Our 4's and trio's have the bases of indoor cage and large plastic dog beds as litter trays. They also have smaller ones dotted around.

They get fed out of 2 bowls.

Is the indoor cage yours? I'd use that as a giant tray and then a separate one somewhere else. :)

Goodluck to the buns!! :love:

Is the indoor cage yours? I'd use that as a giant tray and then a separate one somewhere else. :)

Goodluck to the buns!! :love:

Yes thats what I did last time but its just so big and hard to empty and clean - I just wondered if theres an easier way ..probably not :roll::lol:

Thanks for the luck!

Yes thats what I did last time but its just so big and hard to empty and clean - I just wondered if theres an easier way ..probably not :roll::lol:

Thanks for the luck!

A few underbed storage boxes should be fine then. ...I know what you mean about cleaning it out!! :shock:

When I had four I had two litter trays or one really big one.

_IGP8490-vi.jpg

or

_IGP8280-vi.jpg

What do you use as a litter tray for 4 - at the moment the 2 pairs have the storage box trays but only 2 buns can fit in, these are useful as they are easy to clean - so do I just get 2? or do I need to find something bigger so all 4 can get in?
For litter trays I have one massive one that all four can fit in with extra space and then a smaller one that they can still all fit in but there is no extra space.
Heres my big one:
DSC07716.jpg

And the other one moddeled by Walnut:
DSC07717.jpg

I got both of my trays in Wilkinsons for just over £10 I think:)
I think it would be best if all four could fit in because with mine if one goes in the others all have to go in too especially when you refresh the hay and then you get them all biting eachothers bottoms to get out of the way:lol: So I got bigger ones:)

What do you feed them in - I have always fed either directly into their tray or into a bowl, but if they cant all fit in the tray I dont want any fights - they chase etc as it is just in their pairs so with 4 it will be bedlam.
I have four bowls for pellets that I fill and then stuff one under each bunnies nose:p it works fine as long as I keep an eye on them so they don't steel eachothers.

Also cheryl is having them for a week, do I bring them back to a very basic shed with just hay and them or do i get it all ready - litter trays, toys etc etc for when they get back - the reason I ask was last time thay came back to a empty pen but as soon as I introduced stuff they fought so I thought this time if I have everything ready as it should be I wont be introducing anything new in the early stages to unsettle them?
I would have everything there because then also they have other things to distract them from naughty bunnies and also saves you having to introduce everything slowy maybe causing fights. I'm not to sure though i think you should see what they are like together before you bring them home and then make a decission:)

Thank you

Any other advice?

Hope I helped:)

where did you get the really big one? Thats what I was looking for - The smaller ones are the ones ive got for the pairs

We got it from a discount store. Mum got it years ago for under my bed. They do the same ones in Homebase for about £13. They might do them in Wilko's. They do the smaller ones in Wilko's when I went last and there were a couple of gaps on the shelves so they may also do the bigger one.

Thank you wall4eva & schuette - The pics are helpful - i think i will need to search for a big one for all 4 but not as big as my indoor cage base.

I havent got a wilkos - i so wish I did as I keep hearing of people getting cheap bunny bits from there!

Cheryl said to put everything in as they should be fairly well bonded by then - i will give it a go - I can always remove things if they decide to fight over them!!

What about a Homebase? They are really good quality so last very well so worth splashing out on.

Kath, there is a Wilkinsons over in Yarmouth in the mall :). You could always try the freeads to see if you can get a small indoor cage so you can use the base as a litter tray. Alternatively a couple of large litter trays should do it. I hope you have given them all instructions to behave for me :lol::lol::lol:

Back