• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lice & Neutered Male Help!

Hi there
I'm new to this but have a few questions I hope someone can help me with. I have a male & female who have been seperated since they reached maturity. 10 days ago we had the male (Thumper) neutered & he seems to be doing great, just wondering when it would be ok to pair him again with the female (Snowy)?
Since his op he has spent short supervised time with Snowy & on one occasion she went for him - is this normal?
Also, they both have lice which I am treating them both for today with drops from the vet, how can I prevent them from getting it again? The vet thinks it may have come from their hay, however we get it from the petshop sealed!
Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help

Thanks x

Both males and females are affected by hormonal changes at puberty and therefore introducing them before she is spayed can result in her going for him/or vice versa, and risk of injury will always be higher. I would not reintroduce the pair until she has also been neutered and had a couple of weeks to heal minimum, and neutral territory must be used for this reintroduction.

Lice? What sort of lice? Most commonly rabbits have fur mites - what exactly did the vet say they were called? Are you certain he said lice? :?

Think I've been getting some bad advice about my bunnys! We were told once Thumper was neutered that they could be together happily - we have always planned to get Snowy neutered too, but thought we would wait a little longer for her as more traumatic for females?!
she def said lice, not what kind though! she's given me Xenex Ultra Spot On to treat them with.

Firstly Xenex! :shock: I would personally not apply this - heard of far too many acute allergic reactions to the chemical. I would prefer to use Ivermectin, something called Xeno 450 - different name. An alternative may be Advantage (which is the only licensed rabbit flea product in UK).

No, a bond is rarely successful unless BOTH rabbits are neutered. Females must also be spayed for health reasons to prevent the onset of Uterine cancer as they age - prevalence is very high. Yes it is a big operation for girls and most vets will not perform until 4-6 months of age atleast.

Personally I would find yourself a very rabbit savy vet before proceeding with a spay, it requires good clinical management and post-op care from both you and the vet.

Back