• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

liver damage link to excess cecals?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:wave: i found an article online..lost it and now cant find it..any one heard of this?

its the usual excess cecals dietary and stress problems..but somehwere there was an article on it being part of the symptoms of liver problems/disease in buns.

poor bif i put the horrendous overload of soft cecals down to her teeth..all that time it may have been her liver.......

we dont know when the damage occurred..post or pre heart attack following propofol.

i was just wondering if anyone else had come across any link.

when the vets reopens...im going to ask ellen if shes come across it or any of the other vets.....

I never heard of this, but wanted to bump this thread for you. Hopefully someone will come along and be more assistance. :)

I'm sorry that I haven't heard of this either. I'm posting because the herbal remedy of sowthistle seeds is believed to help liver regeneration, & about the only thing which works.

Rock bottom, buns will leave any caecals which smell different to the norm to them. The causes can range from changes in diet, to abnormal microflora in the caecum. I don't know hoe liver failure might affect this.

yes cow thistle was mentioned a lot in various articles relatin to liver probs.

sadly i presumed it was dental ..

it would explain why some buns get stasis so often for no apparent reason..maybe a defect in liver workings? which may never make them seriously ill..or it might..then you get ones who die...and its all put down to stasis.

just a thought.

yes cow thistle was mentioned a lot in various articles relatin to liver probs.

sadly i presumed it was dental ..

it would explain why some buns get stasis so often for no apparent reason..maybe a defect in liver workings? which may never make them seriously ill..or it might..then you get ones who die...and its all put down to stasis.

just a thought.

I don't think so. I think it's far more likely that the stasis cuases the liver issues. If a bun goes more than 48hours without nutrition, the longer they starve, the more likely they are to get hepatic lipidosis. They lack the enzymes we have to mobilise stored energy.

Rock bottom, buns will leave any caecals which smell different to the norm to them. The causes can range from changes in diet, to abnormal microflora in the caecum. I don't know hoe liver failure might affect this.

This is where I find Mini odd, cos she does eat them but she manages to still make a mess with them, gets them on the fur round her bits and leaves empty splat marks. I know that makes no sense whatsoever but it's the only way I can describe it.

i hope this isnt an indication of liver probs :(:(:(

Holly still dont eat hers but she dont seem ill at all :? i am convinced its because she sleeps so deep she dont feel them coming out.

yesterday i disturbed them throughout the day and she didnt get to sleep as deep as she usually does... no special poops

today i was down stairs all day and there was one left again :?

i hope this isnt an indication of liver probs :(:(:(

Holly still dont eat hers but she dont seem ill at all :? i am convinced its because she sleeps so deep she dont feel them coming out.

yesterday i disturbed them throughout the day and she didnt get to sleep as deep as she usually does... no special poops

today i was down stairs all day and there was one left again :?

I wonder this with Mini too. Recently I've been finding the marks on the plastic sheeting I use to cover my bed as she sleeps up there. But I've only been finding it recently. It comes in waves.

This is where I find Mini odd, cos she does eat them but she manages to still make a mess with them, gets them on the fur round her bits and leaves empty splat marks. I know that makes no sense whatsoever but it's the only way I can describe it.

Thumps does this when they're runny but not smelly. I think it comes out too fast & too much for him to eat in time, so it sticks to his bottom & tail. When he next sits down Splat!

[QUOTE = donnamt; i hope this isnt an indication of liver probs

Holly still dont eat hers but she dont seem ill at all i am convinced its because she sleeps so deep she dont feel them coming out.

today i was down stairs all day and there was one left again
I'm sure you're right about Holly. What you've noticed proves it. It seems that unfortunately her caec passing time co incides with her deep sleep.
There was a time when Thumps caecs were so smelly I knew he'd done one when I opened the front door :shock: He hasn't been able to make normal caecs for 9 months, but they smell normal Thumps now. - I KNOW his liver function is OK.;)
ETA Thumps doesn't have a functioning caecum which gives us different issues.

Last edited:
Thumps does this when they're runny but not smelly. I think it comes out too fast & too much for him to eat in time, so it sticks to his bottom & tail. When he next sits down Splat!

Yeah I definitely think her tummy isn't quite right at the moment. She seemed uncomfortable last night so I gave her a tummy rub and then I heard popping noises so gave her some fresh hay which she wolfed down as usual. I think it must be moult-time cos that episode before was about March/April I think.

ETA. Also gave her some Fibreplex and some probiotic in the water and she seems better today.

Dare I suggest a few bramble leaves in her hay if her tummy is good with new things? Thumps prefers them dry. They usually get things back on track.

She had some bramble leaves about a week ago. I'm going to the allotment tomorrow so I'll try and remember to snip her some. :thumb:

Back