• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clippers for BIIIIGGG claws?

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Can anyone recommend some for Thistle? His claws are very thick and they tend to grow in a spiral so are hard to get at properly with small animal nail clippers. I got the vet to do them last time (they used these really heavy duty looking plier things :shock:) but they're starting to get long again and I do the rest of my buns claws myself so I figured I may as well save myself some money and get Thistle his own pair of clippers rather than keep forking out for the vet.

I don't want to get the same type as the vet used as I have trouble keeping him still and I think I'd have his toes off with what they used! :shock::oops:

I got some things that look like scissors but have a sort of hole cut into them that the nail goes in ,i use them for the dog and they are great much easier than tryin to fit the nail in clippers.They were from jollyes:D

I got some things that look like scissors but have a sort of hole cut into them that the nail goes in ,i use them for the dog and they are great much easier than tryin to fit the nail in clippers.They were from jollyes:D

I have some of these. I can't stand guillotine ones!:shock: They terrify me. Luckily mine seem to wear down their claws so I don't have to do it.

If the animals claws are curling then dont go for guillotine ones as you wont be able to wind them round the claw to get it in and you run the risk of splitting the nail higher up.

Thanks! :wave:

There's a little pet shop down the road (that's also a tanning salon, I kid you not!) so I might walk down there in the hope that it's open and see if they have any. Otherwise I might go to the dreaded P@H.

I just use our people nail clippers for the rest of the buns. I've used them for Thistle before too but hus claws don't fit in so I end up cutting tiny little chunks off at a time, it takes a while! :lol:

I've seen the ones that look like scissors with the hole in - I wasn't sure if they'd be big enough to tackle Thistle's nails and I never really thought to look in the dog/cat sections at the pet shop :oops::roll:

Back