• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help- Testicular cancer

William

Wise Old Thumper
My 5 1/2 year old rabbit has testicular cancer. I'm going to have him neutered on Monday. What needs to be done besides being neutered? Will he need some kind of meds afterwards? Is there anything I should know? I'm really worried about him... not sure what to expect or what the chances are that he'll be okay. :(

Also, what kind of anesthetic are they supposed to use for rabbits? Isofluorene? I just want to make sure they use the right kind. The vets I'm going to are experienced in neutering rabbits but I'm extra paranoid about this. Wish me luck...

He will need some pain relief afterwards e.g. metacam. Also make sure that you have lots of food to tempt him to eat after the GA, they tend to like strong smelling stuff moreso for some reason e.g. thyme.

I hope everything goes OK for him.

Thanks

I guess they'll have to do bloodwork on him? I only noticed on Friday that his testicles on one side were small and shriveled and the other side enlarged.. I assumed (or hoped) that it was testicular cancer but I realized that if he had a liver disease his testicles might be larger due to fluid building up?

Testicular cancer is not uncommon in older un-neutered bucks. Most tumours are benign and do not spread but the best approach would be to have him castrated, as you are doing, and for your vet to send the tissue to a laboratory to assess exactly what the cause is - cyst, tumour, infection etc - and if it is a tumour what kind and how likely it is to cause any long-term problems.
Anaesthetic agents will vary dramatically between practices and individual vets and also on the rabbit. If they are familiar with doing rabbit anaesthetics routinely and you trust your vets then I would let them choose what they feel is appropriate and not push towards particular medications yourself.
He should come home on pain relief for a few days afterwards.

Back