• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Excuse me while I have a bit of a rant.

Why can't people get their bunnies neutered?! I know it's expensive for some people but it's only a one-off!

Nutmeg wasn't neutered until she was 2 (possibly more than that as I have no concrete proof that she was the age I was told she was) and she's so hormonal and territorial. It's ruined the bond and means she is SO bad with her litter training. She's gorgeous and could've been the most adorable and loving bunny ever if only she'd been done much earlier. She keeps leaving puddles everywhere and not five minutes (ok that may be a slight exaggeration) after I've swept poos she's left loads all over the place. :evil: I have to be careful about what clothes I am wearing going from one pair to the other cos otherwise it gets a lot worse and she starts chasing Smudge - whose brilliant and accepts her peculiarities.

I realise this may not be because of not being spayed early but to me that's the most likely cause. :evil:

Cost shouldn't come into it really - I always think of it as if you can't afford the bill for neutering then you will probs not be able to afford any unroutine bills in future!

Besides, people can go to RSPCA for neutering vouchers or have it done there if they are on low income, there's just no excuse :(

It really irritates me too!

I'm still trying to get my 'not so nice sister' to get her rabbits neutered.

I've managed to convince her they need more space and to be seperated (they were in a single storey four foot hutch, opposite sexes, unneutered, resulted in a litter of kits that died very quickly). She seperated them as soon as the first baby appeared but bought a small second hand hutch for Charlie. I've donated her my old four foot double and convinced her to buy Charlie a new hutch (sadly, she picked another four foot double...) so they have more space now, although it's not ideal, and they're not at risk of breeding again.

She will not get them neutered though. The cheapest vet here will do bucks for £42. I told her this before she bought Charlie a new hutch, thinking he could stay in the second hand hutch for a little while after being neutered and then bonded to Lola until she could be neutered too. She told me she didn't have enough money to get him neutered but went out and bought his new hutch for £110. How does that figure?! :roll:

I've now reached a point where I've offered to pay half towards getting them both done. She says she can't afford it now as she's redecorating - as if that's more important.... :evil:

Sorry, I activated my rant mode there. :oops:

Maybe we all need a rant thread! I know my difficulties are only a drop in the bucket compared to many rescues on here. It's so frustrating though.

I keep trying not to get wound up by my sister. I keep thinking that, at the moment, her rabbits are probably better off than my rabbits used to be when I was a kid. And I keep trying to tell myself that there will always be animals being kept in worse conditions every time I see or hear about something I don't like. Sometimes I almost wish I didn't know so much about rabbit welfare now just so it didn't upset me so much when I see someone who couldn't give a stuff. :oops:

I don't know how the rescues cope, I really don't.

Back