• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colchester zoo piccies

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
We went yesterday and had a brilliant time. :D I know opinions on animals in captivity will vary, but Colchester have made a vast improvement to lots of the enclosures since we last went and are also involved in lots of conservation work too.

Just a few of my fave pics. :) Dd killed my old camera a couple of weeks ago and (although I haven't told her this) I'm quite glad she did as I love the 18x zoom on my new camera. :love::love: Some of these were taken through glass as well.

DSCF0273700x525.jpg

DSCF0284700x525.jpg

DSCF0288700x525.jpg

DSCF0320700x525.jpg

DSCF0340700x525.jpg

DSCF0349700x525.jpg

DSCF0234700x525.jpg

Aw I loved Colchester when we went :)

Was it a bit chilly when you went? Those lemurs look like they snuggled up to keep warm :love:

I love red pandas too, however I got quite upset at colchester cos they're panda seemed rather stressed and was pacing :( the ones I've seen at other places have always been very happily sleeping high up in a tree

Was it a bit chilly when you went? Those lemurs look like they snuggled up to keep warm :love:

Blinking freezing at times.... but luckily no rain. :lol: I was half tempted to snuggle myself into the middle of the lemur pile to keep warm. :lol:

There were two red pandas; they didn't seem particularly stressed yesterday and I had to wait quite a while for one of them to actually move from behind a tree.

Ikwym though - I always feel the same about the white tiger I posted a pic of as every time we've gone he always spends the whole time pacing the perimeter of his enclosure, even though (in zoo terms) it's absolutely huge. :(:( The tiger was the only one who seemed stressed yesterday I think.

Holidayhutch, the lion one is my fave too :love: ... but I'm slightly gutted as I missed the op to get a photo of him yawning. :roll:

My son got a fab pic of the lion there.. When i got on laptop in the morning i'll see if i can find it

Great piccies!! Yes I was surprised just how much it's changed since I was little, it's a vast improvement and I was quite impressed! I've been thinking about getting a gold card as I live fairly close so I could pop in for an hour whenever the mood strikes! Last time I went the lemurs were all huddled like that and one of them moved and the whole lot tumbled off the log like dominos :lol:

Last time I went the lemurs were all huddled like that and one of them moved and the whole lot tumbled off the log like dominos :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The gold card is quite reasonably priced I think, if you live close enough to make good use of it. I'd be there every week I think. :D

Great photos - no elephants? I love elephants and saw some delightful lady elephants at Belfast Zoo last year. :wave:

Just for you: :D

DSCF0345700x525.jpg

I only got one photo as I was scoffing a Magnum as we went past :oops: but it came out ok for a one handed shot. :lol::lol:

I love giraffes but they were both indoors when went and the only view we had was from a platform looking down on them, so no good pics. :(

My bf and I went there 2 weeks ago. The white tiger was out sunbathing when we were there though. As far as captive animals go, I think Colchester does an amazing job. They get good results in breeding programs too. Only ones I feel a bit bad about are the orangutans, since they lost the female I kinda feel the males there are wasted. I fed the giraffes when we went, amazing to see them so close!

ah what lovely pictures! we went with my niece 3 weeks ago and were very impressed with it.
it's changed a lot over the last few years it gets bigger all the time!
well worth a visit. X

:lol: She's my only relative who has had cool jobs, she also spent 6 months in Madagascar studying the Lemur population and then went to Borneo to study Orangutans :love:... Its nice for some isn't it? :lol:

Am extremely jealous. :D:D:D What amazing experiences they both must have been. Eldest dd wants to do some kind of work with animals, and would jump at the chance to do anything like that.

Back