• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny won't come out of his little house, is he okay?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Yesterday I put my Bentley to bed after snuggling with him for quite awhile. I gave him lots of water, pellets, veggies and hay like every night. Normally when I wake up, at around 11, he is itching to come out of his cage and has normally knocked stuff over running around. But today, he's eaten, but all he's doing is laying in his house and doing nothing. It's 12 now which is the latest I let him out and he still doesn't want to come out! :( I gave him a little bit of watermelon and kale last night if that counts. He didn't eat the watermelon though. What could be wrong?

Is he actually eating and pooping as normal?
Is he lying differently, like hunching or stretching out and pressing his tum to the floor?
Could he have injured himself - a leg or a paw?

Is he actually eating and pooping as normal?
Is he lying differently, like hunching or stretching out and pressing his tum to the floor?
Could he have injured himself - a leg or a paw?

Yes, all his food was gone and there was poo and pee in his litter box. I can't really see him, but I think it's normal, he's got his front paws stretched in front of him with his back legs tucked in, and let me stroke him.

Well if he's eating and pooping ok you can rule out stasis, and probably rule out any bad pain too, as he would be reluctant to eat if he was hurting.

How long have you had him?
Has anything been changed that could have unsettled him?
When you say it was 12 o clock, was that lunchtime?

when did you last see eating and toileting.

the only time Alvin refuses to come out of the carrier is when he has stasis every other time he comes running incase i have food :?

Well if he's eating and pooping ok you can rule out stasis, and probably rule out any bad pain too, as he would be reluctant to eat if he was hurting.

How long have you had him?
Has anything been changed that could have unsettled him?
When you say it was 12 o clock, was that lunchtime?

I mean lunch, and I've had him since March, a few weeks ago we moved him into the garage but it stays at 20 degrees in our garage.

when did you last see eating and toileting.

the only time Alvin refuses to come out of the carrier is when he has stasis every other time he comes running incase i have food :?

last night but his food is gone which was hay and a full bowl of pellets, so he ate them all during the night.

Could you encourage him to move around a bit so see if he is injured? or maybe its gas - usually moving them about gets rid of that..

Hope he picks up soon, will he come out for treats?

Its fairly normal for a rabbit to be quite and doze in the middle of the day, as they are crepescular,so most active at dawn and dusk.

Because of the time difference I'm not clear on the timeline here. When did he last eat, or is he still eating ok?

even during sleep time my pair always come running for treats.... if your bun hasnt eaten since the night before id suggest you get him to the vets asap

Its fairly normal for a rabbit to be quite and doze in the middle of the day, as they are crepescular,so most active at dawn and dusk.

Because of the time difference I'm not clear on the timeline here. When did he last eat, or is he still eating ok?

I put him to bed at 10 pm last night with a full bowl of pellets and hay, and kale and water.

At 11am I wake up, his food's gone, i give him more and leave since he's still sleeping. Then, I came back at 12 and he was still in there, so I tried to move his little house and he didn't want to move.

I got him out of his cage and did a health check, and he looks fine. I put him in his hutch and I'm watching him now. He didn't want to eat kale and he don't have any blueberries which are his favourite, but he nibbled a dried carrot, and he doesn't like eating much in his hutch though, just in my lap for some reason.

Last edited:
OK,my general rule is that if they refuse food or show other signs of stasis then I get them to move around and exercise to hopefully shift any gas in their tum.
If they don't start eating properly within a few hours then its off to the vet for a proper check up.

Do you put food down twice a day (eg veggies in the morning and pellets in the afternoon), or do you put all of it down all at once?

OK,my general rule is that if they refuse food or show other signs of stasis then I get them to move around and exercise to hopefully shift any gas in their tum.
If they don't start eating properly within a few hours then its off to the vet for a proper check up.

Do you put food down twice a day (eg veggies in the morning and pellets in the afternoon), or do you put all of it down all at once?

He ate during the night, not just in the evening, because I checked him at 2 am and he was eating, I'm taking him out to run around my room

I hope he is feeling better. Our two boys alwaysn go back in the hutch for a few hours around 11am - 4pm. They never seem to sleep, just sit there, though I guess they are dozing. I think it's just their body clock and instinct that makes them do it. It may be that your bunny is just starting to establish his active/resting pattern. Please keep us updated.

Back