• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly bunny

Ian'n'Chris

Young Bun
my bun came back from the vets earlier after having dental work done, have been told to make sure hes eating etc... problem is hes hardly eaten anything not drank anything and wont let me near him to syringe feed him can anyone help x

Your bunny is probably in pain. Has the vet given you any pain killers? I would call the vet asap. Bunnies can go downhill fast.

my partner took him to the vets as i were working he had to have his back teeth cut down, there isnt anything on the invoice about pain relief, when i took him for his initial consultation yesterday she gave him pain relief and some recovery fluids

As the others have said, he will need some pain relief.

Also if you can get lots of food to tempt him e.g. parsley, thyme, coriander, grated carrot, carrot tops, shedded greens, little bit of apple or similar just to get him eating.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

my partner took him to the vets as i were working he had to have his back teeth cut down, there isnt anything on the invoice about pain relief, when i took him for his initial consultation yesterday she gave him pain relief and some recovery fluids

I am certainly not an expert by any means, and sorry if I am getting the wrong end of the stick here, but when you say that you took him for a consultation yesterday and he was given pain relief and fluids then, does that mean he had already not been eating for a bit? If so ,I am just wondering if he was already experiencing the early signs of 'stasis' before he had his op, in which case he might need something like a gut stimulant to help get him eating again? Just a thought. Also agree he may need to go back to the vet for pain relief.

i'm getting on to the vets, have tried tempting him with loads of things but i just read you post and put some apple down for him and hes loving it, think he must be a little grumpy thanks for your help :D

i'm getting on to the vets, have tried tempting him with loads of things but i just read you post and put some apple down for him and hes loving it, think he must be a little grumpy thanks for your help :D

That's good. Might just give him bit of appetite. Try the grated carrot next;)

hes a house bun and when i get up every morning he runs round my feet to greet me yesterday morning he didn't, wasnt his normal self he were backed into a corner wouldnt eat and peed on my carpet which he would never do, so i asked for advice and got him booked into the vets, she said he needed a dental and booked him if for today. have been given some fibre med to give him x

I have a dental bunny too so know what you are going through. At the moment, just try to get him to eat anything he will take to keep his gut moving.

Sometimes my bunny won't eat until early hours of the morning.:roll:

no intreast in the carrot :(

Just keep trying different foods. He may also want to rest if he has had GA.

Do you have another rabbit? Sometimes when I put the other rabbit back with Homer she eats his food and he retaliates by starting to pinch it back from her :lol:

just the one, we tried pairing him up with several females but he just tried to attack them, its a shame as i would love to have a friend for him, he had a ga went to the vets at 8.45 this morning and he were home by 12.30, i thought he would have been kept in longer.

I've only had one GA for my buns but he went in at 8.30am and I didnt hear how he was even until 2.30/3pm, and didnt collect him until 6pm.

I dont know what the usual keep-in time would be.

Is he neutered? Its just that he would be easier to bond with another bunny if neutered. In fact I wouldnt put an unneutered bunny with another. If he is neutered, it may just be the bonding process - it can be very tricky, and you could try adopting a bun from your nearest rescue and then asking if they can bond them for you? I tried bonding and I found it very stressful, they are such complex little critters!

yeah hes neutered and was when trying to bond, we got in touch with our local rescue and she came round with some buns and tried to get him to make friends with one but he flew at her, real shame i try to keep him entertained and he seems happy enough

Homer had a GA a couple of weeks ago for dental and we dropped him off at 9.30 and picked him up just after 2.30.

If he continues not to eat I would contact the vet for some pain killer and gut stimulant.

I am trying to bond a trio at the moment but Katy is attacking badly so I may have to call it a day and continue to keep the barrier between them.:roll:

yeah hes neutered and was when trying to bond, we got in touch with our local rescue and she came round with some buns and tried to get him to make friends with one but he flew at her, real shame i try to keep him entertained and he seems happy enough

Oh thats a shame. I wonder if it was because it was in his territory perhaps, or just that particular bun. When he is better you could try taking him to a rescue for 'bunny dating' perhaps.

I hope he gets better soon. Is he eating any more apple or anything?

:lol: You can have my Katy if you want, she does that to Cassie (but I get inbetween before she gets to her). It took me 4 months to bond Katy with Homer :roll:

Back