• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Both of my rabbits were killed last night ! :(

Kenny

New Kit
:cry:

I walked into the Garden this morning to feed my two bunnies and found them both decapitated and one had been gutted..

I'm so sad..

I feel so guilty as I didnt put them to bed in their hutch and left them in the garden. I'm so sad.

It was really difficult clearing up the remains and finding their severed heads.
But I managed to keep it together and do it..They're buried now in their favourite spot..

Does anyone know what could've done this ?
Is it a fox ? surely a cat couldn't of done it..

Kenny

Im so sorry :(
were they in a run or anything ?? if so was the run open at the top ? It could have been anything really :(
thats any bunny owners worst nightmare :(

So sorry :(

A large or ambitious cat could have done it, but a fox is a very very likely candidate, or could any local stray dogs have got in?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Kenny, I am SO SO very sorry about your bunnies. I dont know how you have coped with that. I am so sorry.

I can only imagine it was a fox. Foxes dont always kill to eat, they can kill just for the hell of it.

So sorry again.
Rest in peace bunnies.

I'm so sorry :(

Yes it would have been a fox, they are notorious for taking the heads off bunnies I'm afraid :( I had it happen too several years ago, it's devastating.

They are normally kept in a hutch with a run pushed up against it so they could stretch their legs .. but last night I didnt put them to bed and just left them running around the garden overnight..Since I let them out during the day sometimes..
They loved to run around and climb over things..so I let them out more and more, because it made them so happy..

I just feel so guilty..

I got them from the RSPCA about 4 years ago..
Mother and daughter, Phoebe and Piper..
I dont even know what breed they were..
Do they look like French Lops..they were pretty big..

I live alone and they were my best friends..
would it be safe to get any more rabbits..?

Will the fox be back ?

i do think the fox will return for a while to come. bloke at work had a fox try to break into his hutch a week later his wife accidently left the bolt open and the fox got thier bun :cry::cry::cry::cry:

can you keep house rabbits if you go ahead and get more?

im so sorry for your loss i can only go on how my work mate was after his loss and he was pretty traumatised for a long while after, im not allowed to mention foxes at work because even a year later he cant get over what happened.

its an awful lesson to learn being lax in security and id not wish it on an enemy so heartbreaking :cry::cry:

maybe you could post a tribute to your girls in rainbow bridge with pics, might help the grief you feel a little xxxx

Back