• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wabcess

linley

Warren Scout
Yes folks, Loki has an abcess (OH is calling it a Wabcess, get it? :roll: ) just under his wee mouth.

Took him for his Myx job this morning, had his health check and I spotted it on the way home. Took him right back, had it drained and now on Baytril twice a day. Poor wee thing's not having a good day.

Apparently they're quite common and awkward to treat in bunnys? Just hoping he wasn't in as much pain as I've been with mine, although the vet assures me he won't have been.

Nap time?

Yes folks, Loki has an abcess (OH is calling it a Wabcess, get it? :roll: ) just under his wee mouth.

Took him for his Myx job this morning, had his health check and I spotted it on the way home. Took him right back, had it drained and now on Baytril twice a day. Poor wee thing's not having a good day.

Apparently they're quite common and awkward to treat in bunnys? Just hoping he wasn't in as much pain as I've been with mine, although the vet assures me he won't have been.

Nap time?

Oh dear

Unfortunately jaw abscesses in Rabbits are nasty and often indicative of a Dental problem.

Didn't the Vet examine him before giving him his vaccination :?

Treatment of abscesses in Rabbits is not as straight forward as in other species. Just draining the abscess is unlikely to be curative, even when systemic antibiotics are given. Surgical removal of the entire abscess capsule is almost always needed. This also gives the Vet an opportunity to assess the extent of the infection. Skull radigraphs would give information as to whether there is any boney involvement (osteomyelitis). A full oral examination can also be done as more often than not jaw abscesses occur in Rabbits with already established Dental Disease.

Is your Vet Bunny Savvy ?

He looked at his eyes, ears, mouth & teeth and bottom, listened to his insides and everything. It was concealed right under his chin to be fair, Loki isn't one for being handled so we didn't notice it either. He was quite good about it though, readily answered any questions I had.
A lot of treatment still to come then?

He looked at his eyes, ears, mouth & teeth and bottom, listened to his insides and everything. It was concealed right under his chin to be fair, Loki isn't one for being handled so we didn't notice it either. He was quite good about it though, readily answered any questions I had.
A lot of treatment still to come then?

Unfortunately that may well be the case.

Did the Vet advise you to flush the abscess out 2-3 times a day ?

You may find that it will fill up with pus again within the next 24 hours.

He didn't, no. Just said it was a very small abcess, told us how to administer the anti-biotics and didn't really seem overly worried about his health or further treatment but he's to go back in a week. I do trust our vet, he's brilliant with the animals, treats our dogs as well and never holds back on information or masks situations. Other than this wee lump, Loki's fine. Eating well, running about, doesn't seem down or in pain. Should we be more worried than we are? Vet gave off the impression it would be managable.

He didn't, no. Just said it was a very small abcess, told us how to administer the anti-biotics and didn't really seem overly worried about his health or further treatment but he's to go back in a week. I do trust our vet, he's brilliant with the animals, treats our dogs as well and never holds back on information or masks situations. Other than this wee lump, Loki's fine. Eating well, running about, doesn't seem down or in pain. Should we be more worried than we are? Vet gave off the impression it would be managable.

Personally I would not leave it a week before going back. A Vet may be brilliant with cats and dogs, but Rabbit Medicine is so very different. Unfortunately not all Vets are very clued up on Rabbit specific issues. The fact that your Vet did not notice the abscess and then just 'drained' it does make me wonder if he has a lot of experience in treating Rabbits.

Did he administer the Myxomatosis vaccine correctly, ie 10% into the dermis ?

I am not trying to make you anxious, but your posts do make me feel a bit :?

Personally I would not leave it a week before going back. A Vet may be brilliant with cats and dogs, but Rabbit Medicine is so very different. Unfortunately not all Vets are very clued up on Rabbit specific issues. The fact that your Vet did not notice the abscess and then just 'drained' it does make me wonder if he has a lot of experience in treating Rabbits.

Did he administer the Myxomatosis vaccine correctly, ie 10% into the dermis ?

I am not trying to make you anxious, but your posts do make me feel a bit :?

He put a wee bit in the skin behind his ear and the rest in the back of his neck, same as he did last time. I have a friend who's in vet school and he's gonna have a look too, get a 2nd opinion and just keep an eye on it til he goes back. He's also gonna help us keep it clean. His hutch is freshly cleaned and disinfected too and we'll be limiting his outside time.

Update: Went back this morning and the vet (different to the one we saw last time) seems very hopeful that it's healing up nicely. It's not attached to his teeth or anything, you can move it about and there's very little pus coming out, signs of healing tissues. Going back in a week and he should be close to being clear but if not they're gonna sedate him and investigate further.

Further note; took 2 of us to hold him down. Big bunny doesn't like being prodded and squeezed.

Back