• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Showing no interest in cables

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
If i rabbit has shown no interest in cables in 3 years, is it safe to assume she can free range while i am at work?

Gracie has been up in the spare room in a penn, but she gets so lonely i want her in the living room. She has never chewed cables or been destructive. Would it be safe to assume she would be ok?

I'd do it slowly...bring her down while your around so you can see how she acts. If it is a new place she might be more inquisitive....which might lead to nibbling.
Bring her down here....I'll keep and eye on her ;) :love:

I wouldn't risk it to be honest, unless you've got good cable protectors eg tough hosepipe. It would be the work of a few moments for her to chew through a cable, kill herself and burn down your house!

Rabbits change and learn things just like we do. I had Sorrel 6 months before she learnt to do stairs, I had Skye 8 months before she learnt to escape from her pen.

I wouldn't risk it either. My bunnies never showed any interest in carpets, until one day when Clover decided to attack the one in the hall way. They can be a bit unpredictable...

I used aquatic hose for my cables, which was quite cheap.

After Snowdrop was electricuted I would never leave a bunny alone where he/she could get to a cable.

Luckily our electric tripped but the cable stank of burning and Snowdrop had burns to her mouth from the cable. She was thrown across the bedroom and terribly shook up.

i would cover them just incase. Alvin has never gone at a wire but id never leave him in a room alone with an exposed wire just incase.

I trust my wee Sammy 100%, He seems happy enough in the spare room but every now and then he does sneak into our bedroom, he knows he's not allowed in there :shock: but he doesnt destroy anything.
I wouldnt trust my other rabbit Leon at all. He loves getting into trouble. When I leave him alone in the living room he chews the leather sofa, he has got one corner of it down to the bare wood :evil:, thats when Im just in a different room!

If you want her to have more space when you're out why not just give her the run of the spare room. This way you can limit the destruction:) That will be plenty of space for her especially as its only for part of the day. Obviuosly just unplug everything and make sure there is no loose wire about.

After Snowdrop was electricuted I would never leave a bunny alone where he/she could get to a cable.

Luckily our electric tripped but the cable stank of burning and Snowdrop had burns to her mouth from the cable. She was thrown across the bedroom and terribly shook up.

OMG, was she ok?

As for letting her into the living room - Yeah I'd let her in but just make sure your there all the time.

Leon used to love jumping behind the tv unit.....cable city:shock: We were really lucky that he never actually got time to bite any of the cables :oops:

He has bitten through two phone wires in the living room and the christmas lights:oops:

Theres two cables in my living room that I cant hide, they are tact to the wall but he has never showed an interest in them. He seems to like the wires that are more of a challenge to get to:roll:

Oh and I also have a little folding table that sits next to the sofa, one day out of the blue Leon decided to try out his jumping skills. He jumped on to the sofa and then on to the table, the table also had a glass sitting on it but again luckily I was there to get him down.

Thanks for the replies. She has masses of space in the spare room, she is only penned in so she wont eat tortoise lamp cables. Its just so she can have more time with me. But then she comes downstairs when im in anyway, so it doesnt really make a difference :lol:

my baby has been chewing at wires and i bought a pen today to hopefully attach to her big cage,soph is a indoor bunny and i have bought her alot of toys to chew on but she seemed more interested in the wires and i dont want her getting hurt :wave:

I wouldnt risk it - Starbuck hasnt shown an interest in cables for a whole year, but the other night he had got in to a a little area that was all barricaded off (how do they do it?!) but we do turn everything off every night so luckily the only harm done was that to the cable.

For this reason I wouldnt risk it.

Fudge hasnt shown interest in cables since she is born and she is almost 3 but the other night i caught her having a nibble of her first cable! It was dangling though, she gets left out with a big black cable all night every night and hasnt yet touched it *touches wood* so i think she has a thing for dangling cables :roll:

Back