• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig company

cam

New Kit
:wave:Hi
I have posted previously regarding rescued Miffy he has come on in leaps on bounds follows my partner round the garden now. I wondered as we work all day if it would be wise to get him a liitle friend in the form of a guinea pig dont think we have a big enogh cage for another rabbit. Any advice please?

Last edited:
It's really good that you don't want to keep your rabbit on his own but please don't house a rabbit with a guinea pig. It is not fair on either animal and they have quite different needs with regards to feeding etc.

Rabbits need the company of their own kind (as do piggies), so I would contact your local rescue centre (if you look on Rabbit Rehome, it will give you some local ones) and ask their advice.

Completely agree withe above rabbits often attack guinea pigs as part of their dominance and can easily kill them. They also have different dietry requirements.

I would suggest speaking to your local rescue about what their requirements are and maybe looking into a bigger hutch if needed.

In addition to the above, rabbits can even accidently kick back or get a bit over excited and seriously injure if not kill the guinea pig. Plus they have quite different housing requirements. Rabbits like additional levels, whereas guinea pigs are ground dwellers. I also personally think that all animals should be indoors - but rabbits are better able to withstand the cold than guinea pigs can as they develop a thick winter coat. Guinea pigs do not and are generally more fragile (in both heat and cold).

Back